Therapeutic dose for Trazodone

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Bruno, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Bruno

Bruno New Member

Hi there

I'm new to the site. Does anyone have any experience of Trazodone for anxiety/depression? A lot of people just seem to use it for insomnia but my psychiatrist wants me to increase the dose from 50mg and use this drug solely for depression - I was on fluanxol but didn't get on very well with that, so stopped taking it. I was just using the Trazodone for sleep. If anybody out there has used it for depression what dosage did you use and what experience did you have? Did it work? What do people find works best to lift mood and anxiety?

Many thanks for any help

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Each person would need a different dose depending on their severity of depression and the symptoms involved I hope you and your doctor can come up with right dosage for you without to many side effects

3. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

25 mg was making me sleepy all day I was taking it to help with sleep but it was just making me groggy all day long and it actually made me more depressed and suicidal

4. Bruno

Bruno New Member

"25 mg was making me sleepy all day I was taking it to help with sleep but it was just making me groggy all day long and it actually made me more depressed and suicidal"

Sorry to hear that, the medication clearly wasn't for you. Did you manage to find something that worked for you?

5. DrownedFishOnFire

Yes.. seroquel :)

6. suicidalfish

suicidalfish Active Member

I am very familiar with trazodone. I have been taking it for years and have done extensive research and know many other people who take it as regularly as I do. It is not therapeutic at all. In fact I would only advise taking it as a non addictive or harmful form of sleeping medication for insomnia. This is not just my opinion either for it was originally prescribed as an anti depressant but it was so shitty because it kept putting people to sleep that then then just prescribed it as a sleeping medication.

I learned about it in rehab, they gave it to the clients because it is not addictive and it does not get you high no matter how hard you try try taking large doses, snorting, whatever. All it does is make it easier to sleep, it doesn't work miracles either but I have only had about a handful of times that I couldn't fall asleep after using it. However, if you stay up, it'll definitely not force you to sleep, but may make you very tired and then make you wanna fall or asleep or close your eyes and then fall asleep. Best bet is to take it then try and go to sleep normally in a dark bed room.

I would take 50mg and try it out. If it doesn't work keep increasing the dose.

Currently I am taking 200mg a night sometimes 300mg. I think that it might be too high and possibly making me groggy and depressed during the day but it sure does help me sleep. I am paranoid about not being able to fall asleep (as a matter of fact as I am writing this I am having so much trouble sleeping that I gave up and decided to go online) but this happens rarely. I usually chill out and watch tv until I am so tired that I either fall asleep or I get up and go sleep on my bed in a dark room. Not sure if I would recommend this though but it has been working 95% of the time.

As for seroquel, small doses will help you sleep like 50mg, high doses like 500, 300mg etc are used as an antipsychotic and should only be taken if you have bi polar disorder or schizophrenia or anything that would need an anti psychotic for. If you don't have these disorders, then taking that high of a dose will cause severe problems. From my personal experience taking seroquel for sleep like 50mg made me very hungry and I would eat a lot before going to bed and this caused weight gain. It did however make it very easy for me to go to sleep. If I took a smaller dose like 25mg I would just get kinda tired. This drug also will not get you high no matter how hard you try. Not gonna happen.

I prefer trazodone over seroquel for sleep because seroquel makes me get too hungry and it causes weight gain for me because I will eat so much before going to bed.

Overall, if you have schizophrenia or bi polar disorder then take high doses of seroquel. Trazodone will not give you any therapeutic benefits. You are looking at a sleep aid as something therapeutic and it just isn't, you should invest into looking for a different kind of medication for therapeutic benefits. If you are in need for a sleep aid I'd go with trazodone. I'd seek a different psychiatrist.

7. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Trazadone is like every other med- it works well for some people and not well for othrs. The therapeutix dose wil be fdifferent for different people, and it is an excellent anti - depressant for some , and has littl eeffect for others. Asking these sorts of questions on here has little value as you will illicit responses based on somebody's experience that may be completely different than yours - and may well cloud your your own perception before even trying it making you look for effects tha are not there or worry about things that do not apply to you at all.

While discussions of meds in general is certainly helpful to help with educating yourself about what might be available to talk to your prescribing Dr about, getting to detailed specifics is best left for the prescribing DR and perhaps consulting with a pharmacist if you still question the dosages. Statements like the one above above claiming to know what a drug will do for you are best completely disregarded and reminded that is based on a members experience or experience of people they know (that were admittedly in rehab so had all of the chemical's completely messed up from other issues) so have no real value in determining how it will work for you.

8. suicidalfish

suicidalfish Active Member

No, your wrong. What I said was that yes it is and can be prescribed as an anti depressant but it is not good at treating depression because it makes people fall asleep. It can work as an anti anxiety med as well but you will fall asleep which is normally not what you want to be accomplished, you normally just want to be less anxious, not fall asleep. Same goes with an anti depressant, you want it to make you not depressed but not fall asleep as well. Trazodones original intention was to be an anti depressant/anti anxiety med but it turned out to be a shitty one because it makes you fall asleep so it was then prescribed to people with insomnia. This is not just my experience, every doctor or psychiatrist I have seen who has prescribed it to me told me exactly what I said. I also have met 40+ people who take trazodone and had the same experience as me, many more if you search online. If you can not take my word for it it is researchable information.

As far as the rehab thing, I was taking trazodone for 8 months straight in sobriety and had the exact same experience and I am taking it now with almost 80 days of sobriety with the same experience so it has nothing to do with going to a rehab.

This also has to do with all doses, not the "therapeutic dose".

Also sure, if you force yourself to stay up you may not fall asleep but this will be difficult and your going to be super tired and groggy and really want to fall asleep and once you lay down and close your eyes you will shortly. Again, this is not what someone wants with an anti depressant or anti anxiety med, nobody wants to be so tired that they can fall asleep unless it's bedtime.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2015
  9. DrownedFishOnFire

Fish....

Its different for everyone for every single medication out there regardless of what it is for. Topamax was originally used as a seizure medication and is now offically used for mood stablizer....

Seroquel might have offical label use for cerrtain diagnosis but any one in the medical field knows off label use is very common and is encouraged in some situations

10. DrownedFishOnFire

Fish....

Its different for everyone for every single medication out there regardless of what it is for. Topamax was originally used as a seizure medication and is now offically used for mood stablizer....

Seroquel might have offical label use for cerrtain diagnosis but any one in the medical field knows off label use is very common and is encouraged in some situations