Therapeutic Drug Use

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by SickBoy, Aug 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SickBoy

SickBoy Active Member

Have any of you considered using drugs for therapeutic reasons?

I'm not talking about railing a load of cocaine and pretending your happy, I'm talking about using an entheogen* like LSD or mescaline to get to the bottom of or come to terms with some of the problems in your life.

I honestly believe LSD saved my life, I was hell bent on taking my life and had begun planning until I tried LSD and it told me to hang in there, things would get better.

*An entheogen ("creates god within," en- "in, within," theo- "god, divine," -gen "creates, generates"),[1] in the strictest sense, is a psychoactive substance used in a religious or shamanic context. Historically, entheogens are derived primarily from plant sources and have been used in a variety of traditional religious contexts. With the advent of organic chemistry, there now exist many synthetic substances with similar properties.
    Wikipedia

2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I've thought about this and asked my therapist. She said it wouldn't be a good idea :laugh:. Fancy idea asking my therapist for advice about illegal drugs.
    I have definitely considered this. I am in a suicidal state of mind though so I am very scared that I will do something while I'm on it. Or that I will get so freaked out that I will make someone take me to the hospital.
    I'm also on prescription meds so I'm really scared about what to mix or just what effect drugs will have on me that they won't have on other people because I'm on a lot.

But as far as other drugs... sometimes when I'm really depressed and take a percocet, it makes me feel better (obviously), but I don't crash or whatever. Sometimes it takes me out of my depressive state of mind, and even after the drug wears off... my new more positive state of being stays.
    So I think drugs (legal, illegal, whatever) can be therapeutic definitely. Just be careful :)

3. SickBoy

SickBoy Active Member

If you're on meds I'd be very careful what you take.
    What kind of meds are you on if you don't mind me asking?
    I could probably find out whether or not mixing these things is a good idea for you.

Your therapist probably advised you against it because they don't realise that entheogens can be used for more than just 'getting fucked up'.
    From someone who's been there, it really does let you think about things in a different way.

I think the best the best thing for the job, for anyone that's interested, would be mescaline cactus (which is legal pretty much everywhere but illegal to consume in some places).
    If you google 'mescaline therapy' I'm sure there'd be a fair bit of information about using it this way.

4. yursomedicated

yursomedicated Chat & Forum Buddy

Well...

My brother has really bad depression and he smokes so much weed. I don't believe in it, but he does seem to be less depressed.

I wouldn't do it for myself though. Actually don't think it would do anything for me, I'm too far gone.

5. SickBoy

SickBoy Active Member

That's the thing, cannabis isn't an entheogen.
    You're right, using it to forget about his depression isn't constructive at all.
    I've done it myself and all it does is make you put off your problems while you're high and then they come back once you're sober.

Entheogens help you get to the bottom of your problems.
    Maybe the experience will make you realise that the things that bother you aren't as important as you think, maybe it'll help you to see all the good things about yourself that you never saw before.
    The experience is different for everyone but I can guarantee that it'd put you in a place where you can think about your life from another perspective.

6. MaNg0s

MaNg0s Well-Known Member

I smoke shit loads of pot to not get stressed. Only thing that works for me.

7. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

I got stuck accidentally with 100mg of Special K (ketamine) and honestly it changed me in a really good way. I totally understand what Leary and Alpert were up to with all that. I did research after and found out that the experience I had is life changing for many.
    Incredible.
    Lets not forget that Ecstasy was and is used in psych situations.

8. SickBoy

SickBoy Active Member

Bah, I had a pretty bad problem with K. That stuff's pretty addictive. Cool that it worked for you but a lot of people end up with nasty habits.
    And yeah, ecstasy was used for a while by psychiatrists but it's a lot more neurotoxic than stuff like LSD and mushrooms. It can be pretty bad for your body. :sad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.