Therapist appointment

sadhart

SF Supporter
I have an appointment today and I may do something that I'm never comfortable doing and that is talking about suicide or more so, my feelings regarding it.

There's a fear of doing so. I'm afraid of getting in trouble as in being locked up in some hellhole hospital. But at the same time I feel I need to get some of this out. I'm just not sure the best way to really do so.

HappyKitty

Works during the day, doodles at night.
I hear you man. In my country, even if you’re an adult - if we feel so suicidal, my therapist will break confidential. If I wanna get some support for suicidal thoughts, I’d usually go to crisis line for that. I’d separate that issue from my therapist and talk abt things that triggers it. You can do the same thing if you want or let the crisis line address it before you talk with your therapist.

Kiwi2016

🦩 Now a flamingo, not a kiwi 🦩
SF Pro
Sending you positive thoughts for your appointment...from personal experience I know that it isn't easy to do this... one thing I found that helped was I wrote down what I wanted to talk about and then when I started to not be as open as I wanted to be I just handed her the piece of paper...it helped me to focus on what I wanted to say when I couldn't find the words. Sending you positive thoughts for your appointment.

SamIAm

I have an appointment today and I may do something that I'm never comfortable doing and that is talking about suicide or more so, my feelings regarding it.

There's a fear of doing so. I'm afraid of getting in trouble as in being locked up in some hellhole hospital. But at the same time I feel I need to get some of this out. I'm just not sure the best way to really do so.
Good luck on your appointment. I will be thinking of you. I’m sure it will be the right decision no matter if you talk about suicidal feelings or not. I went through this on my own appointment the other day. I made it known my feelIngs but also said I wasn’t planning it anytime soon. Let me know how it goes for you. Please take good care of yourself.

Angie

Safety & Support
SF Supporter
I have found that being honest with my therapist is the best policy.

And generally speaking (in the US at least) (am unsure where you are located) therapists and docs wont push for hospitalization just for suicidal thoughts, it has to be downright "I have a plan and I am doing xxx tonight" before they hospitalize.

I have a long term therapy relationship, and over the years we have come to an understanding that I will ask for help before attempting, and everything in front of that is open for discussion. I realize not everyone is as comfortable with their therapist as I am so there is that also.

I really hope things go well for you and that you get the help you need.

Holding my breath

SF Pro
SF Supporter
Just felt like I didn't explain things well.
Sorry you feel that way. It was your first time discussing it and I’m sure your therapist would have understood it’s a difficult thing to discuss. You can always try again next week.

Im afraid I have become quite open with my therapist about it and told her my plans and told her that out of 10 it was an 8 that I was likely to carry them out. I wasn’t locked up and nothing nasty happened. All I’ve had is a caring response. Perhaps I took it a little too far this week and went to the place Id threatened to kill myself to answer her phonecall! Because I’d told her my plan before she guessed almost immediately where I was. So yeah, literally I don’t hold back!

Good luck again for next week if you try again. Although perhaps don’t go quite as far as I did!

Kiwi2016

🦩 Now a flamingo, not a kiwi 🦩
SF Pro
Try not to be so hard on yourself as I discovered it takes time to develop trust with a therapist so with each session you will find I believe as I did that you will slowly feel comfortable sharing a bit more ...and take to heart that you have taken a huge first step in going to a therapist so feel proud of yourself for that... sending you hugs...

sadhart

SF Supporter
Sorry you feel that way. It was your first time discussing it and I’m sure your therapist would have understood it’s a difficult thing to discuss. You can always try again next week.

Im afraid I have become quite open with my therapist about it and told her my plans and told her that out of 10 it was an 8 that I was likely to carry them out. I wasn’t locked up and nothing nasty happened. All I’ve had is a caring response. Perhaps I took it a little too far this week and went to the place Id threatened to kill myself to answer her phonecall! Because I’d told her my plan before she guessed almost immediately where I was. So yeah, literally I don’t hold back!

Good luck again for next week if you try again. Although perhaps don’t go quite as far as I did!
I admire you for being open like that. I'm afraid to just say that I'm not okay because it may come off as I'm ungrateful or something.

sadhart

SF Supporter
What would you being ungrateful for?

I have had people belittle me because I may not have it bad as some people. I once called a crisisline number only for the lady to start telling me how I didn't have problems because there are people who have it worse than me. She even started talking about her adult kid who lives with her saying how the "struggles is real" for them. Apparently, because I have a job and my own apartment, my life is complete and so I'm not allowed to feel bad even when I do for various reasons.

Sorry for rambling.

Holding my breath

SF Pro
SF Supporter
That’s disgraceful. I can’t believe anyone on a crisis line would say something like that. You just got a bad volunteer with that one, it can be a bit hit and miss. I’ve had some amazing phone calls and others which weren’t great. What they said definitely was not true. I have a home, job, husband, kids, on paper my life is perfect. I’m still in this mess and your problems are as real as anyone else’s. No one else can judge because they haven’t lived your life and they don’t know what it’s like, what you’ve been through, what you’re going through. I’m sorry you experienced that and sure I look at other people’s lives and see their struggles and wonder how they cope when I can’t, but it’s not about them, it’s about you. And right now, you need help and support. I am doing my best to reach out and get it, if that means taking my therapists phone call standing somewhere dangerous then so be it. It wasn’t an idle threat, I do mean it and I will do it but I need that to be heard by someone and it does seem as if finally they’ve got the message that I need help. I wish you luck and hope you fee that you can open up and tell them, even if you do it slowly. Xx

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter
I have had people belittle me because I may not have it bad as some people. I once called a crisisline number only for the lady to start telling me how I didn't have problems because there are people who have it worse than me. She even started talking about her adult kid who lives with her saying how the "struggles is real" for them. Apparently, because I have a job and my own apartment, my life is complete and so I'm not allowed to feel bad even when I do for various reasons.

Sorry for rambling.
No reason to apologize, it sounds like person on the crisisline was pretty worthless and you are kind to call her a lady since she behaved as anything but one.

sadhart

SF Supporter
That’s disgraceful. I can’t believe anyone on a crisis line would say something like that. You just got a bad volunteer with that one, it can be a bit hit and miss. I’ve had some amazing phone calls and others which weren’t great. What they said definitely was not true. I have a home, job, husband, kids, on paper my life is perfect. I’m still in this mess and your problems are as real as anyone else’s. No one else can judge because they haven’t lived your life and they don’t know what it’s like, what you’ve been through, what you’re going through. I’m sorry you experienced that and sure I look at other people’s lives and see their struggles and wonder how they cope when I can’t, but it’s not about them, it’s about you. And right now, you need help and support. I am doing my best to reach out and get it, if that means taking my therapists phone call standing somewhere dangerous then so be it. It wasn’t an idle threat, I do mean it and I will do it but I need that to be heard by someone and it does seem as if finally they’ve got the message that I need help. I wish you luck and hope you fee that you can open up and tell them, even if you do it slowly. Xx

Right now I almost feel like it just doesn't matter anymore. I feel like I don't matter. I'm sorry but today was a bad day and it feels like the pain I'm in is in vain. Sorry if that doesn't make sense.

Holding my breath

SF Pro
SF Supporter
Right now I almost feel like it just doesn't matter anymore. I feel like I don't matter. I'm sorry but today was a bad day and it feels like the pain I'm in is in vain. Sorry if that doesn't make sense.
Sorry you are feeling so low and have had a bad day. Bad days seem to come around all too often for me too. Perhaps join hands in having them together. I hope tomorrow is better for you. Xx

sadhart

SF Supporter
Sorry you are feeling so low and have had a bad day. Bad days seem to come around all too often for me too. Perhaps join hands in having them together. I hope tomorrow is better for you. Xx
I'm sorry that this is a constant struggle for you as well. I just wish that I was stronger in dealing with this pain but I'm afraid I'm not.

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter

Sorry for rambling.
That crisis line worker is way out of line. How dare she say that to you? She does not deserve the role she is in.

Your feelings are just as valid as the next person that has x wrong with them. Please ignore and try and erase that call from your memory. You're worth more than that and you deserve support and compassion. I'm sorry she did not give that to you.

Here, we understand, we get it. *hug

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00