Therapist?? D:

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by foreverforgotten, Dec 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foreverforgotten

foreverforgotten Well-Known Member

its taken me months to convince myself i should see a therapist.
    so I saw one... and then decided id go to a new one.
    Because Im scared.
    They ask me personal questions, I close-up and dont say anything..
    isnt it just a bit unnerving to you?? Having someone ask you these things? I havent made another apointment..
    but ive called the number 3 times and hung up im just so scared....im afraid to go into the office.
    ...its so uncomfortable. What do I say when she asks why am i here to see her?
    social anxiety...so i have a very hard time talking to others...and being around people...and being assertive.
    what if i cant say anything? Is that evenagood reason to go to a therpist..? i will just be wasting her time.. A session is 60 minutes!!
    :/ (the first session i ahd i asked if i could leave early and they let me) im so scared

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2010
  2. sunshinesblack

sunshinesblack Well-Known Member

well my experience with six of them is that to alot of them its best to not even say much, if they r good and have good intentions they tend to inspire trust too, most ive seen just did not want ot do with me and help me and where very unprofessional, more like they where expecting to hear my pitifull stoyes to pass the time away. If I ever go to a spych again ill confront him from first sight, about what he can do for me. Its just as disrespectful and alienating. When they ask you why r you seeing themthey r asking what role you expect me to play, they have no genuine interest if they dont go beyond that and they stop at that. My last asked me what got me there and what are the problems so more inviting to go to the issues not just build a wall, they are spoused to know what they r doing. This one was also more professional and above the usual one on one pitty session she gave me standard personality and mood tests to see how i classify. I think its fair since the time is always limited and giving relevant questions and commenting on them shortens the chase.
    Id say find a good counselor first and dont think that if you dont feel comfortable with the ones you find its your issue.
    Also i find studyng myself as much as posible on the subject and psychology in general helped me alot. Feel less at theyr wim and more like i can make the difference if they r useful or just payed company that i dont need.

3. foreverforgotten

yeah your right..i shouldnt be so fast to blame myself if a therapist sucks...
    their not all like that..right? i think??

4. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

you can write out your reasons in a letter and give her the letter to read. lots of people do that. it's easier to start the conversation that way.

5. sunshinesblack

sunshinesblack Well-Known Member

Oh, had to clarify that my experience with therapists was that they helped me bottle up my emotions even more and , i think bottling up makes for anxiety.....
    i always say this i dunno about others but my "mental " issues always pop up related to real problems which as i learned a bit to late others would not handle either. Guess it veries from person to person and problem to problem. But I think people have a lot of things to worry about and fear on a daily basis to be honest, wheather its your self esteem and the consequecens you can only oversee on the emotional level, or emotional wellness like having a good relationship. Have you tried accepting fears like this? Sayng this cause I also had anxiety and not accepting my fears made them uncontrollable anxieties and social phobia. Once i learnd to accept them as serious and attention worthy they became things I could deal with. Dunno about everyone though, thats my experience and guess am not that usual. But i do think most people haveing these need positive attention they r not getting enough, sometimes they think they are but they live in relationships based on some emotional repressing and ignoreing and we want them to b perfect but they r ussualy not, so best they can do is give themselves real careing attention to every last consequence and result, like taking their emotions and fears seriously, giving them time and importance, sometimes its even hard to find them, i think psychodrama is good for this, like thanking the path your imagination guides you to the extreme consequences.
    Have you tried this? Like what happens if you exaggerate your worst fears? can you go there? its not a nice trip, i could not go to the last consequence at first, but the more i advanced the more i realized i can handle my real life and the more i take the paths in my head the more i can avoid them while they are happening in real life. But shure after that you need to do something positive too, even if its just a plesant walk somewhere.
    Dout you will ever b able to have a honest discussion with your counselor about pride, prejudice and inequality.
    Am sayng this cause i did not have much luck with the counselors here, maybe its my bad luck but its rare i hear people be truly happy with theirs, most times its just positive talk and you can do that by switching to the happy news and the positive series on tv but people supress this feeling and rather someone eltse do it for them, but its the same reason they will never be able to fully trust and always need more, cause hey if a counselor says it it means it must be true...but than life happens and they go: what if its not

6. foreverforgotten

edited

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.