Therapist is going out of town for three whole weeks.

I'm going to go crazy not being able to text or message her when I need to! Her supervisor is there for shorter sessions and to talk about basic maintenance issues, but it's not the same. It's going to be hard.

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
You'll get through the three weeks even if it seems impossible right now. Stay on here with us, make use of the chatroom here.

Do you have any coping strategies you could use? Now is the time to use them. :)

I’m sorry, I know how hard that can be. You are stronger than you know though, you can make it through. Lean on us if you need to *hug
Sure, I'll do that, thanks.

You'll get through the three weeks even if it seems impossible right now. Stay on here with us, make use of the chatroom here.

Do you have any coping strategies you could use? Now is the time to use them. :)
No real coping strategies. I've gone down lists of hundreds of common coping strategies, and none of them work for me. If I'm upset, I am upset and going to stay upset. There is no placating me.

Leesa

I'm going to go crazy not being able to text or message her when I need to! Her supervisor is there for shorter sessions and to talk about basic maintenance issues, but it's not the same. It's going to be hard.
Can you have her write a short letter to you and maybe keep a calendar where you can cross off the days so you know you're moving forward? It may seem silly but perhaps being able to physically see time pass can be a coping tool.

Can you have her write a short letter to you and maybe keep a calendar where you can cross off the days so you know you're moving forward? It may seem silly but perhaps being able to physically see time pass can be a coping tool.
I have a calendar that marks when she's coming back, which is good.

Do grounding exercises help? Is this the first time you therapist has gone away?
No and no. She's gone away before. If it's something that could possibly be found on a list of top 100 coping mechanisms and relaxation techniques, then it probably doesn't work for me. My brain hates any attempt at trying to make me not feel what I feel or feel less of what I feel or make things less intense unless there's some resolution or option to fix the actual problem. Like talking to someone other than the therapist is gonna help way more than like breathing or meditating to be calm or something. Beyond that, I'm not really "ungrounded." I'm just in need of more support than I can get without her here.

Acy

Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense
Admin
SF Supporter
@sufferingforsolong - I’m sorry you’re facing a stressful time.

Most of the calming/relaxation/anti-anxiety strategies I know about might take some long-term, ongoing practice to make them “work” at their best. So I wouldn’t give up on them or conclude entirely that they don’t work for you...keep doing them anyway because eventually, things tend to fall in place and the strategies click. I’m sorry that hasn’t happened for you “yet.”

An important thing I learned about feelings - good, bad, whatever - is that if we “feel” them and don’t fight them, they settle more quickly. We do not have to “act on our feelings,” we just have to feel them. Is that fun and easy? Not always. We can live through them. It’s our actions and rehashing of feelings that can tie us up in knots sometimes.

While your therapist is away, I hope you might come here and maybe post, vent, rant out your feelings. We can listen and offer support, even if we cannot be a therapist for you. You have survived your therapist’s absence in the past. That give me a lot of hope that although it’s a rough time, you can manage! Be safe, stay safe! Post if you want/need to. We’re here and are happy to listen!

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00