therapist is leaving

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by abcd, Feb 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abcd

abcd Active Member

Not too many people know I see a therapist for depression and suicidal thoughts, so I just need to vent here...

I've been seeing this therapist for about three months and she let me know today that she is leaving the practice at the end of the month and is going to a place where she can't take her current clients with her. UURRGGHH. I'm sure many of you know the frustration of having to start ALL OVER again with your story with a new person. I really liked her too. I'm very slow to open up, so to start over is such a pain. this really really really sucks.

thanks for listening.
  2. fweeps

fweeps Staff Alumni

omg i totally know how you feel..last feb my therapist for 3 years did the same thing to me...since then i have gone to therapist after therapist trying to find someone who i trust...and just recently i have. When i am searching for a therapist and see them for the first time, i ask alot of questions..such as "are you planning on retireing soon"? "is this your passion" on and on. I mean i look at it this the one whose going to spill my life out to this person, so i should get to know about them too.
  3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I don't know what i would do if my therapist left I don't think i could move on to another I am sorry this is happening to you
  4. abcd

abcd Active Member

fweeps - glad you finally found a therapist you like! those are good questions that you mentioned. I've only seen a couple therapists and i've never thought to ask those questions. thanks.

violet - thanks for your thoughts.

I just know that the more this news sinks in, the more depressed i'm gonna get...and that sucks because i've been doing "better" for the last month for a change. one step forward, two steps back. guess this just follows my pattern.

I guess i'm glad that i "only" invested 3 months. And my therapist has someone in mind that she thinks would be good for me to go to. otherwise I'd be throwing darts at a phonebook to pick one :)
  5. Vitreledonellidae

Vitreledonellidae Well-Known Member

lol throwing darts at a phonebook.
    Happened to me too. Its good to hear though she has someone in mind for you. And I dont like to say this, but sometimes its good to tell your whole story again and again to different people. Because of all the times Ive told it to different people, I could just tell classmates and housemates that I have therapy and that I am depressed. And I dont expect anything from them, things are just easier when you dont have to hide stuff constantly. I really hope your new therapist, those situations suck, but you can learn a lot from it too. But what fweep said, asking questions, might be a good idea. Let us know how it continues, so than maybe we need to slap some therapist butt
  6. abcd

abcd Active Member

Just wanted to say that I had my last appt with her today. It's sad. I really liked her and I think she is good at what she does (not that I cooperated with her all the time :biggrin: )

I start with the new one next week. Hope it's another good match.

This part of the transitions sucks, though. Just very sad.

thanks for listening. it's just nice to have some place to vent.
  7. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I hope next week goes smoothly. Maybe the next one will work even better for you.

Good luck.
  8. LotusFlower

LotusFlower Antiquities Friend

I hope it goes smoothly for you. My therapist of 3 years is leaving at the end of march and I just finally started to open up about some of my trauma. I am not looking forward to finding a new one.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.