Therapist issue

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by Mordeci, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

So I have been seeing my therapist for the past year and a half and we have made very good progress togerther, unfourtently money has always been an issue and now it has gotten to the point where at my last therapy session that she wants me to look for a new thearpist. To be honest this really upsets me, I thought 1) we had an agreement about money 2) I feel like all the work we did was for nothing and 3) I feel like I have been taken advantage of emotionally and fincially. I am at a stage in my life when the one thing I need more then anything is stablity (she has told me this) and then she goes and de-stablizes my life and does so after I owe her a signifgant sum of money, if money was really a issue she should of told me to look for a new therapist sooner, before I got into debt with her. I just kind of feel abandoned and used and really I don't want to continue with treatment after this.

2. Forgotten_Man

Forgotten_Man Well-Known Member

It sucks that your therapist pulled that. In the end it only seems to be about money. Another reason why I do not want to find a therapist. I wish I could say more.

3. Marty482

Marty482 Well-Known Member

I understand your angst! I guess it's hard to remember that therapists are people too and make mistakes. You have a right to feel angry I think. She should have not let you get in debt to her if that was a big issue for her. But like I said they are just people too. Maybe you really do need a new person to talk to. There are many free therapy programs and 12 step programs are free. Maybe life moved you from her because you need something else now. Hang in there and I wish you the best!!!!

Marty

4. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

I don't know I actually have good insurance at the moment that will cover most therapist, just not her, and actually it covers a good portion of each visit just not the full amount. It's just I thought we had an agreement and she keepstalking about stablitiy, and then she does this, I really feel betrayed to the point I am upset with the whole medical community, which is a shame because I know I still need therapry to get better (alot of therapy actually). What's worse of all was that I was on the path of recovery. Really my instinctint tells me to stop taking the meds and stop therapry all togerther, but my mind tells me that is probably not a good thing.

5. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

I have a friend Bill, who is seeing a psychiatrist I used to see- I stopped seeing him because early on I sensed he was in his profession largely for income and not to help fragile lives. Bill's father died and set him into a tailspin of depression and when he managed to show up at my former psychiatrist's office to pick up a prescription there were no condolences or acknowledgment of Bill's loss. Just a cold blooded reminding of an outstanding balance.

Both my present therapist and psychiatrist probably lose money seeing me with my pathetic coverage but they are very kind women. They even break with professionalism and both give me a hug after each session. Mental health professionals with truly kind dispositions are out there and I lucked into two of them.

6. ema

ema Antiquities Friend

Too bad the therapist wasn't honest with you earlier. I've had trouble with money and paying in the past, but mine talked about what he absolutely had to charge and why and then always worked with me, to this day. He is so good about it. He is honest, but fair.

Don't stop the meds or trying to get help. That doesn't make it better for you. Keep trying.

I wish money didn't have to be part of this process.

7. Marty482

Marty482 Well-Known Member

I understand. You have been treated poorly and it's natural to want to withdraw. Not ALL therapists will act like this. I had a therapist in college that treated me for years for free. You just have to find the right one. Instead of dropping meds and therapy why not just take a break or reduce them. If you felt you were on the road to recovery , I urge you not to stop. Keep trying and you might find a way out of your unhappiness. It seems that you are so close. PLEASE hang in there!!!!

Marty

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.