Therapist says its age, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Later in Life and Seniors' started by texaskitty, Apr 24, 2017.

1. texaskitty

texaskitty SF Cat Lady Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

I am having trouble remembering things. Old things and new things. (oh I am 58).

I have to keep a large planner and record such things as (gasp) bowel movements, mood swings, who I talked to, appts. things to talk to pdoc and tdoc about because I just don't remember anymore.

Does this happen to anyone else?
  2. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Alumni

Texas, I took tons of notes at my computer workshop Saturday. No one else did. I always make careful note as to where I park my car or I will panic when I can't find it. I am sure age is part of it. But not sure it is all of it. Why don't you try and find some 'brain exercises'. Maybe study something you never have before. Oceanography, history of Texas, try a musical instrument. (the recorder should be pretty inexpensive). Exercise those brain cells. I suspect mine would be totally dead if I wasn't still working.
    texaskitty likes this.
  3. Kiwi2016

Kiwi2016 Forum Pro

I too have to write down everything...otherwise it seems like in one ear out the other...glad I'm not alone...also think its part of too many things going on at once...e.g. multi-tasking that I used to do a few years ago doesn't seem to work as well...
    texaskitty likes this.
  4. texaskitty

texaskitty SF Cat Lady Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

Yes Barb, you are right I need to pick something to learn and work at that exercises the brain. I am told you can form new neural synapses.

No Kiwi you are not alone!
  5. Sneaze

Sneaze Member

Your not alone! I admire how organized you are about remembering things!
  6. Kiwi2016

Kiwi2016 Forum Pro

Good to know that I'm in good company.
  7. Claudia UK

Claudia UK Well-Known Member

You not alone Texas. I am 52 and like you I write everything down on my computer or make notes on post My Computer screen is full of stickers and even in my kitchen is a board hanging up where I write things down. Yes, it is probably an age thing too but I was always like that .
  8. SinisterKid

SinisterKid We either find a way, or make one. SF Supporter

Yeah, 50 something and a memory like a sieve, so you are most definitely not alone. I can remember a 16 digit number without problems, but a simple 2 or 3 digit number just wont stay in. Frustrating as hell, but at least I am not my mother in law, which is a blessing.
  9. Tpmcg002

Tpmcg002 Well-Known Member

Stress plays a big role in forgetting as do things like diet and sleep. I forget the craziest things and then will remember something else verbatim. But age does change it too...I am 69 and don't remember what I use to for sure. But I am better when I feel better . When my depression is more active or the ptsd I have lots more trouble.
  10. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Alumni

To bad we can't 'selectively' forget. Like remember where we parked the car, but forget all the bad crap we did during our life.
    Kiwi2016 likes this.
  11. Kiwi2016

Kiwi2016 Forum Pro

One can dream to live in denial
  12. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I'm now 60 and forgetfulness is my specialty. :)
  13. Inastorm

Inastorm Well-Known Member

Ive worked alot with dementia suffers, and im not an expert, but it does sound like normal ageing, so I wouldn't panic - it wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on it and get checked up by the doctor periodically. The main signs to worry about is things like forgetting why your doing something, such as you go for a bath and you don't know how you got their or you get lost in your own house.