Therapist suggesting ECT

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by abcd, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abcd

abcd Active Member

The psych. nurse that's been monitoring my meds for over a year and the new therapist that I've seen about 6 times have both suggested ECT treatments and my therapist spent most of my session today really encouraging me to consider it. she claims all the ones she's known of have had good results. She acknowledges that memory loss is a side effect, but believes it is worth it.

I've been on many different anitdepressants and my therapy goes no where. I blame myself for that, but the therapist believes that's just the depression talking.

I'm so torn between my therapist's encouragement and the bad experiences you can find on the internet (mostly memory loss related).

If you've had ECT treatments, please comment on your experience.
    Thanks.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I have never had this done but have seen it done and it is not painful at all. For some it helps immensley but they had to have several treatments to have it take affect. There are some that it did not help but i did not see any real bad effects from it not really. If it can improve your life i don't know maybe it is a hard decision only you know if this is you best option. take care.

3. betteroffunknown

betteroffunknown Well-Known Member

i had ECT for about a year and a half. while it does reek havoc on the old memory it does do wonders for the mood. i am usually in the hospital about four or more times a year. during that time i had the treatments i went only once in 15 months. i do think that it is worth it, but it does take the toll on the old memory. they eventually had to stop the treatments cause of the effect it was having on the memory.

4. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcranial_magnetic_stimulation

Newer treatment. It looks like it has the same beneficial effects as ECT (theoretically the same mechanism as ECT, in fact) with a different set of side effects, generally less severe, and no memory-related ones.

See if you can get it. Given a choice between the two I'd take the magnetic one, even though I'm already prone to seizures - my mind is all I've got.

5. History

History Well-Known Member

I've had ECT for my previous depression episode and there is really nothing at all to be worried about as you will be 'knocked out' by anesthesia before the treatment starts and by the time you wake up, it's all over. Over a period of a little more than an hour. Took 6 sessions. Didnt work for me though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.