therapist taking some time off

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by dazzle11215, Dec 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i just heard from my therapist today that she is taking off two weeks over christmas. i can't tell you how much this frightens me. i see her twice a week and she is the only reason i am not still in the hospital. she helps me so much. i don't know what i will do while she is away. akkkkk...

2. DannyBoy

DannyBoy Well-Known Member

When my therapist does that he usually leaves another therapist I can go see.

Did that happen?

3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

can you keep in touch by email even i hope she has left you a number to call if you need too. I think of it as only 4 days she is away because the other days don't matter right. Make sure she can give you a contact number okay to someone who will help you while she is away.

4. CatherineC

CatherineC Staff Alumni

I don't think you should contact her for two weeks. I know that frightens you but everyone needs some time away from their job. They have to recharge their batteries etc. You can't deny her some time away and you certainly shouldn't see it as anything personal.
    You're going to have to be brave. You can ask for an alternative therapist whilst shes away or you can phone one of the helplines and ask for help from there.
    Think of it as a challenge. You will miss 4 sessions and that is not so much. You can do that, you're strong enough to do that, you've just got to have faith in yourself. Plus, you can always phone a helpline to help you through. You can pm me anytime you like, I'll always talk over stuff with you.
    Give it a go, you might surprise yourself.
    Sending hugs
    xxxx

5. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

I completely understand this, I hate to admit it but I cannot cope at all when my counsellor is away. He was ill this week, which resulted in my complete meltdown.

If she is unable to give you details of another therapist, you could call a helpline while she's on holiday. She does need a break, so it's only fair that it can be a complete break, but that doesn't mean that you should be left unsupported. I would speak to her about this, and try to work out an action plan for while she's away. This will give you both peace of mind, as she doesn't need to be worrying about you while she's on holiday, and you need to know how you're going to cope.

Mim

6. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

thanks everyone. i know she needs time off, she only took 2 weeks in the summer (and yes, i survived that). i will call the hotline if i need and you may see me posting a whole lot more on here! plus i belong to a drop in centre for people with mental illness so i can go and hang out there as well. i have to remind myself that i have lots of supports. i was just having a bit of a freak out.

7. doityourself

doityourself Well-Known Member

You can PM me anytime. Do you go on vacation, maybe you can go at the same time?

8. VCircle

VCircle Active Member

Mine recently told me she was away for a while and I had an anxiety attack. I hate how I become so dependent on her being around. Does this happen to you guys? Is it a good thing or a bad thing that we can become so dependent on them being there? It frightens the hell out of me.

9. Johnnyc

Johnnyc Well-Known Member

My therapist is doing the same but for a month, two weeks for Christmas and two weeks for new years.
    This I find out as everything just starts to get bad with me again.

10. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

we spent this morning's session talking about how i'll be when she's away. we went through my list of early warning signs that i'm in crisis and strategized on how to to deal. for instance, when i'm in crisis i start isolating, stop caring about my appearance (i know, yuck stop showering, stay in bed all day), i start self harming again. we looked at how those things start to manifest themselves almost before i'm aware of them (not going out for coffee during the day for instance). that way i know what to watch for. i feel better prepared for two weeks without her. thanks for your words of support, it helped to hear from all of you.

11. CatherineC

CatherineC Staff Alumni

Hi Catherine,
    Wow, you have the same early warning signs that I do! I also start sleeping a lot and lose concentration. I can't focus on anything and get confused quite easily. I won't leave the house unless I have to.
    I have a lot of coping strategies which I use to get me through these times, some are very simple like 3 deep breaths others are more complex and depend on how bad I am. I'm happy to share some of these with you if it will help. Plus I'm only a pm away if you need to talk.
    I'm really proud of the way you're handling this. It's great to see someone gaining back their control over the illness. Well done you!
    Sending hugs
    x

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.