Therapist wants to put me away

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by Mordeci, Oct 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

My doctor thinks that I should try in-patient treatment for a while and I am terrified of doing it, I would rather kill myself then go away. I have been told it is dangerous and the stigma attached to it is something I don't think I could live down.

2. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

What is it about going in-patient that scares you so much?

I really hope you decide to give it a try. A lot of the times, we hear the bad experiences that people have in hospitals, but there are success stories too. I know a few people personally who have been admitted and came out feeling better. It wasn't always easy for them, and some of what they had to do was emotionally draining. But it helped them.

3. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Hey Andrew. Please dont put the cart before the horse. Dont worry about something that hasnt happened. I've been inpatient several times. It's too bad so many people especially our members, have such terrifying and negative images of inpatient/pward stays. If you like many others have images of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" on your mind, or any other movie that "shows" what hospital or institutional stays are like, please dont believe them.

The stay will help you as much as you are willing to let it. If you go there with negative thoughts then you are already dangling one foot over the threshold to an unporductive stay. Yes some people dont find any or much help from their stay. But many others do. Unfortunately you dont read or see about those as much.

For me personally, because of my situation, I didnt get too much in the way of help that would make things better for me once I went home. But the stay itself gave me if nothing else a chance to step away and out of my problems. A chance to get a break from all the stressors and factors that fed my suicidal thoughts and urges. And that is one more chance that I had than had I not went.

The other patients there are pretty much the same as you. Looking for the same answers and help. So in that too you can find some solutions. I know the times that I spent with other patients gave me more hope and viable solutions than most that the staff had to offer. Sort of like being here. People who understand one another helping if they can.

Staying there also helps you find a routine again. Three meals a day at about the same time each day. Wake up and bedtime about the same time each day. Cuz I'm sure most of us here find those two things alone a real chore at times. There are staff that are available to listen 24/7. There are group discussions and therapy that again help to hear what others that are fighting the same pain as you do to try and cope. There are sessions on general health, coping skills etc.

And there is plenty of spare time in a day too. Where I stayed, there was a green house, fully equipped gym, arts and crafts, woodworking (which at first blew me away.... suicidal people and power tools?), libraries, computers, telephone service, TV, movie rentals, even a piano for me to play that I rarely had the time to do at home and private and semi private rooms depending on your condition. The first 24 hours I was under "solitary survellience". Which basically means you are in a private room for the first 24 hours to insure you are not a danger to staff, other patients and yourself. Before I knew it I was allowed to go outside for cigarette breaks, then short leaves to the cafeteria and then weekend stay overs at home. And all when you feel you are ready for such steps.

There are visiting hours similar to a regular hospital stay. And hun NO ONE needs to know you are there. You can and usually are instructed to leave the names of the people that you will accept calls or visits from. Anyone not on the list... they arent told anything. So nobody that doesnt need to know wont. If it is just your immediate family or very close friend that you trust, which in these cases probably already know you are looking for help anyway, there is nothing for you to have to be embarrassed about due to your stay. To anyone else that asks where you were... a short hospital stay for health reasons that required a lot of down time for you recuperation, simple enough explanation.

Like I said earlier, it's up to you how much you take away from the experience. So please atleast try to go there with an open mind. Make your own opinions and reviews about the stay. I think if you can be honest to yourself about what you hope to gain from this, you'll find the stay a beneficial and successful one.

Consider it please and good luck. Here if you want to drop a pm and talk about it further.

4. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

I grew up listening to a lot of hospital horror stories, and beyond that, I am naturally terrified of them. Also there is the stigma attached of being instionalized. The idea of it really frightens me. The funny part is that my therapist dosen't think I need in-patient she wants me to do out-patient but my insurance won't cover one without the other.

5. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Some of my stays were inpatient but should of been out patient had I been able to afford the expenses too. But I think in the long run it worked out better for me. I was in a secure safe atmosphere. I didnt have to stress about getting to and from the outpatient program. Depending on what outpatient program you need, they can run as often as 4 - 6 hours everyday for up to about 8 weeks or more!!! Pretty hard to keep your everyday life apart from the outpatient "life" as opposed to inpatient where you dont have to explain to family, friends, coworkers, bosses etc as to why you cant make certain dates, activities or schedules repeatedly.

I cant say what is best for you. Just hope that some of what I have said might help you to better decide if it would be any help to you to try inpatient. But it really isnt as bad as most make it out to be. Sort of like going to a health resort for a vacation or stay. A chance to get a break but still do things to improve your health. Do what you think is best for you. At this point it doesnt seem like your therapist has grounds to admit you as involuntary. Another good thing for you. If you go voluntarily, atleast where I am, after 72 hours you can discharge yourself. If unvoluntary, you can stay up to 8 weeks or more at the dicreetion of your therapist and or the staff of the program.

6. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

7. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

Thanks I feel a little better about the possablity of going away, still peterfied though. I could be going in as soon as Monday or as late as the end of November

8. papertiger

papertiger Member

My only experience with being inpatient was after my attempt, but it did put me in a safe space and I have somewhat fond memories of the place (well, as fond as one could be in that situation)
    It let me concentrate on getting better without outside pressures crowding on me, and I only saw people I felt up to seeing. I was only there for two weeks but it made a huge difference to know you're safe even from yourself for a while.

As itmahanh said, it was really the other patients that helped and put things in perspective for me. It was them that I remember even though I never talked to them again afterwards. It is almost like a vacation, except for the lack of privacy. It was an overall positive experience for me, though I've heard different opinions from other patients that it depends where you go.
    If you decide to it'll be better to check yourself in, because if you're forced to involuntarily admit yourself the staff has control over how long you stay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.