therapist

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by GA_lost, Apr 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GA_lost

GA_lost Well-Known Member

I am getting really scared that my therapist and myself are coming close to parting ways. I have seen her since late 2002. She is becoming impatient with me and I am realizing now she is controlling. She tells me what I should and should not do. For example she has told me to use the forums no more than one hour a day. I really think that is my call not hers. Not sure what would happen if we decide to part ways. She has been a part of my support system for many years now. That could be the very thing to push me to suicide again especially if the change to a new therapist is difficult. I am scared and not sure what kind of mood I will be in after my appt on Monday.

2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

The best thing is to talk to her about your feelings...if she is a qualified therapist, she will not abandon you...ask her to clarify some of these points and see if you and she can feel more connected again...in all helping relationships there are varying degrees of how connected we feel...big hugs, J

3. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I agree, I think you should talk to her about this, maybe explain how you feel, how its affecting you, what your fears are and anything that you think you need to discuss with her.

4. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

By all means share your feelings and thoughts with her.. You have already established a bond between you and if she cares she won't abandon you..It sounds like you might be fortune telling a little..Thats one of the cognitive distortions..Try and calm yourself with positive self talk and controlled breathing.. I'm sure you know what I am talking about..Write your thoughts down as they come to you and take the list with you Monday.. Good Luck and Take care!!

5. plates

plates Well-Known Member

you shouldn't feel controlled by your therapist. like you, i think what she's doing is some kind of projection and she's objectifying you and not listening to you. then again, i know the terror of changing therapists, and it sounds like you've had a long relationship with this one. maybe the relationship has just come to a close?

you could talk to her and see how she responds.

6. GA_lost

GA_lost Well-Known Member

Thank You for giving me some different perspectives on this. I intend on talking with her on Monday, and I have decided to do as I think is best with the forums I am on. She seems to think I can go from being very isolated to being socially involved without steps between. Same thing happened two years ago. I had just retired from work due to disability and was inpatient for a week. I wanted to go to the intensive outpatient care at the hospital, and she did not want me to. She thought I was too dependent. In many ways I have been socially stuck since. I have been trying with a volunteer job, classes, part time job, etc. Nothing has really worked out to get me out and keep me out. I will not give up this baby step again. Just hope she does not think I am not trying to get better. This may break the relationship if she thinks that.

7. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

How to tell resistance from reality...what a tough call...glad you decided to talk to her...from there you can see what is happening within the relationship...best of luck, J

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.