Therapist's vacation bother you?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by TBear, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TBear

TBear Antiquities Friend

I have been having a very hard time - at least most of me is....

My therapist has gone on vacation b4 and I haven't shut down like I am now...

It is at a very rough time in the therapy - he said he would check his vmail daily and get back to me within, at most, 48 hours since he is traveling to somewhere 7 hours ahead of here... that he would worry if I didn't call...

Why is it so hard? He said it was understandable since I have never had anyone who responded to me except with pain and abuse... He wants to be there for me...

I am so alone, hurting so...
  2. Oceans

Oceans Well-Known Member

Mine is going on one soon...

I know they need their holidays to ensure they don't burn out but it is really hard when they are away.

I'm not sure how i will cope.
  3. delicateshadow

delicateshadow Antiquitie's Friend

When my therapist has 'breaks' I have no contact. She becomes completely unavailable to me.
  4. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

Yeah when mine goes ...he is unreachable and I am stuck with a is that gonna help I say? But knowing I have a future appointment helps.
  5. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I think it is great your therapist will keep in contact with you that shows how much he/she cares. Is there anything you can do for you while therapist is away Maybe on the days that were to be your appointment go out and get a massage or go shopping buy yourself something. In that hour do some self therapy it will help make the time go faster until therapist returns. take care.
  6. TBear

TBear Antiquities Friend

Thanks - I see that my therapist is actually showing a great deal of care..

I am just in shut down mode - it is always a fight just to call even if I am in crisis - don't want to be such a burden - ever feel so worthless - why should anyone care?

I know better - just don't feel it.
  7. swimmergirl

swimmergirl Well-Known Member

Why are you shutting down?? Is it to protect yourself? To avoid the perceived feeling of loss and abandonment from your therapist being gone? Can you work through the feelings and thoughts you are having right now? It might help you change how you are behaving, and hopefully help you feel better during this difficult time.

My therapist is on vacation right now as well, for 3 weeks! It sucks, but I am also using the time to practice taking care of myself in healthy ways, its not easy or fun all the time, but it is important work to do.

hang in there.
  8. TBear

TBear Antiquities Friend

Yeah, triggers - excruciating emotional pain...

Also, in a very inconvenient time during the therapy -

I've been on a numb auto-pilot mode...

He has called twice - it always seems to ground me, thank G-d!
  9. Scully

Scully Well-Known Member

Same, and then it takes weeks to fix things, because I'm devastated.
  10. TBear

TBear Antiquities Friend

I know he needs his break - and he has been very kind to keep up with me ...

I feel guilty that he has - but also realizing now how badly I needed it -

This is so hard as is - guess I've been in emergency mode... I literally wouldn't have survived without the contact, I think he knew it...

Pretty sad, aren't I? You must be pretty strong to be able deal with no contact at all...
  11. coffee

coffee Well-Known Member

Yes and No

When my counselor told me that he is going away for a week. I was fine with it because I knew he is coming back and I will be able to see him again.

With my P doc, she does take long breaks and I am fine with that too.
    She does attend conferences and she is busy at the hospitals too. I think.
    It frustrates me that sometimes I need her help right away but she is not available so in emergency situations it bothers me but as long as they give me notice and knowing that they are coming back, then I am fine with that.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.