Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by blong, Jul 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blong

blong Member

What happens if you tell your therapist you are suicidal and have been having thoughts, and have made plans and even notes?
  2. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

Uhh well I'm not 100% positive about this, and I think it depends on the laws where you live, but I've heard that they can have you locked up and put on "suicide watch" for 48 hours or something like that. I don't know if I'd tell a therapist that I was actively planning a suicide... I might mention that I had thought about it, just to gauge their reaction first.

I've always kind of worried about discussing my depression with people that I know in person, because the last thing I want is to be declared mentally unfit to make my own decisions. It's my life, goddammit. I'm an adult... feeling depressed and suicidal is not a crime. If I want professional help, I'll seek professional help. Otherwise, leave me the fuck alone.
  3. blong

blong Member

i agree
  4. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

Yes telling. Your therapist that you are seriously thinking of taking your life may end quickly end with a stay in the psych ward..personally I think that is a good thing.. Same for saying that to the crisis line.. Do not believe in suicide and have found that most really bad situations do most times cease and will get better.....
  5. tness

tness Well-Known Member

I actually went to a therapist today. And I told her about my suicide thoughts and everything. I did not get admitted. So It depend how you say it, and how your thoughts around the subject is.

I was also afraid of saying that to my therapist. But I believe that honesty is always the best...
  6. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

My son told his that and she did nothing. He died by suicide 3 or 4 days later.
    I considered it at that point to have been murder.
  7. tness

tness Well-Known Member

Im sorry for your loss. Im not sure why she did not admitt me. I'm not sure at all, perhaps I putting on a mask that show that I'm stronger.

I'm not sure how to act against therapist, I haven't been in therapy before..
  8. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

I wish you the best. The fact that you recognize the thoughts and want to conquer and succeed without going down that path is most excellent. Remember always that bad thoughts seem overwhelming, but in time they fade and go. Stick around with us. You have value.
  9. Jackie's Strength

Jackie's Strength Staff Alumni

I've talked to my therapist many times over about suicide, in quite a lot of detail. I've included things like going through my personal belongings, thinking about whether I'd like to have my organs donated, beginning the writing of letters, researching various suicide methods in detail, choosing my preferred method, and having a backup method or two. Thus far, he's yet to put me in the hospital. I will note however, that my therapist is and has admitted to being more tolerant with regards to these issues than many other therapists. In addition, we have been working together for a fairly lengthy period of time and I can feel suicidal to varying degrees relatively frequently. So, if he were to put me in the hospital every time I felt suicidal, even fairly seriously, then that would be a lot of hospital visits for me, and not much of a quality of life, if you ask me. That said, he has suggested the hospital on many occasions before, but doesn't push it if I agree to co-operate with him and come up with ways to try to feel better and keep myself safe. He knows that I really don't want to go to the hospital and I think he respects that. That said, recently he has told me that if I were to acquire the means for a specific method of suicide that I prefer, tell him about it, and then refuse to get rid of it, then he would refuse to see me any longer.

All in all, I think that every therapist has their limits and boundaries when it comes to this sort of thing. Some therapists are comfortable with taking bigger risks than others, to try to get the client used to tolerating their intense feelings and emotions and dealing with them in a healthy way. It's far from a black-or-white issue, I think. There are many different factors that contribute to the decision that the therapist ultimately makes, including personal comfort levels, the kind of client they are working with, and the unique details of the individual situation.

I would say you're safe to talk about your suicidal feelings with your therapist in general, but when it comes to details, especially those regarding obtaining the means and preparing in ways such as writing a will or goodbye letters, I would tread carefully. Share your general suicidal feelings with your therapist first and see how he or she responds. Then you can add more details slowly, gauging his or her reaction at each step. Even if you do land yourself in "hot" territory and on the brink of hospitalization, if you feel that you'll be able to keep yourself safe otherwise, you can always reassure her of this and ask to come up with a safety plan together. Going to the hospital can be the final step in that plan. That can allow you both to express your feelings fully and prevent any unnecessary hospitalizations.

Best of luck!
  10. hunter77

hunter77 Member

they didnt do anything for me (my certain therapist) but put me on 4 different medicines and litterly told me "wish u the best of luck!" I been to 5 different therapists til ONE accually gave a crap about me. sorry dont mean to complain but it made me mad
  11. Kiba

Kiba Well-Known Member

I don't remember most therapists but I know unless they feel u actually have plan and ready to do it they generally wont hospitalize u in my experience. My last therapist don't care either hunter77. Didn't believe me. Not many people believe me at all.. hospitals know me too much laugh behind my back too.. Cuz I been in so much. They all think I'm lying or attention seeking when I've had numerous actual attempts on record.. So in any case it depends on therapist.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.