Therapy and Levels of Distress

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Butterfly, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Hey guys,

I am looking for a bit of practical advice here. Last week I had a really, really tough therapy session that brought up a mixture of feelings that I had kept buried for years and years. It also addressed reasons back in the past for current safety behaviours and how I feel about myself. I am really struggling with it, and in therapy today I said how much I had struggled the past week with it, and what I had tried to do to manage it. They probed me again and again but were less aggressive in their approach than last week. They asked me what I had done to manage the depression following the session last week and I outright said I had not done anything they had suggested like confide in my partner or confide in anybody because that is one of the problems I struggle with, which we had discussed last week. They understood, and gave me some suggestions and advice. But the problem is the further I fall into the depression, the less likely I am to confide in someone or reach out for help. Last week I genuinely nearly phoned my therapist to discuss how shit I was feeling, but every time I try, something always stops me. I don't know why. Well I do know why, but I wish I wasn't the way I was. In the past I have tried to write notes to explain how I feel. I really need to address this, and I think I can solve this problem with my therapists and we are also looking at assertiveness which is one of my biggest issues as well so I think in the next few weeks I can tackle it. I am just feeling a lot of distress following what we discussed last week and I am really struggling with it. It's making me tearful and really depressed and until I am able to tackle my reasons behind isolation and not seeking help I really don't know what to do. I am going to try and ring my therapist on Friday, I will really try but I don't know if I can.

In the mean time, until I can deal with my issues around seeking help I am looking at practical ways to deal with high levels of distress from therapy. What can I do to manage the levels of distress? I have tried to distract my mind, but as soon as I stop distracting the thoughts come back again and my therapists have said outright it is not the answer and all it will do is exhaust me so suggested I perhaps do an activity for a maximum of 15 minutes at a time to try and make it less exhausting, but maybe enough to take my mind off my thoughts for a bit. I have tried to apply the compassionate mind training I've learned, but again, my mind is constantly wandering off all over the place although I have had more success with that than distraction. I really don't know what to do, and I feel so crappy, so down, really dreadful. What can I do to manage these high levels of distress?

2. mismad

mismad Active Member

Hello Butterfly,
    What kind of therapy did u follow?
    I used to came to sharing club , my psychologist suggest me to join that club. There, we can communicate problem with another club members.
    We should listen to their problem and also give advice for each other.

3. Butterfly

I am currently going compassion focused group therapy. We follow a strict therapy plan but follow it as a group.

4. mismad

mismad Active Member

At the beginning I can follow the club.
    After a month I began to feel bored and not comfy, in the end I didnt follow the club.
    I thought there was no change in me while following it. I still keep feeling suicidal at that time >.<

5. Butterfly

Mine is a strict, structured group therapy programme. It is completely normal to still suffer from depression and feeling suicidal from going to therapy, it takes a lot longer than going for one month to find it effective.

Still really struggling on managing the distress levels from therapy :(