Therapy and meds - good choices?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by galalleni, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. galalleni

galalleni Well-Known Member

Howdy all,

New to the forum - have the severe major depression with psychotic features, recurrent (DSM: 296.34) from my neuropsychiatrist testing - said my brain is physically different from the norm.

Been thinking of being back on anti-depressants, and getting therapy - not sure what route I'm going to take though. I've had good experience with celexa, but horrible experiences with pretty much every other med out there (tricyclics, MAOI's, and SSRI's). Any other Anti-Depressents people have had good success with? (horror stories welcome too)

Lost a lot of friends when I went on the Thorazine, Risperdal, Zyprexa, Seroquel cocktail - don't want that to happen again (not sure if my friends were real or not, but at least they always provided me with some company). Think I may need an anti-psychotic though people are telling me that what I'm saying doesn't make any sense and that some people I know here are not real - anyone know of one that doesn't have so many horrible side effects? (other than the ones mentioned above)

Therapy-wise I may be in a hospital for a while here (stop me from doing something bad). I've been trying to find a good resource to find councilors/therapists in my area, but all that I've seen don't give information on the actual people working there (had a bad experience, my trust was violated with a therapist once - not in regards to harming anyone/myself - just had a mutual friend who ended up knowing all my secrets). Any good internet resources?

Thanks.

2. SadDude87

SadDude87 Well-Known Member

I only have anecdotal experiences. Personally, I am still skeptical to how much doctors currently know about how a brain should be structured.

Even though your doc says it is your brain, I would try therapy first. Group therapy if you're up to it. Socializing in a relaxing atmosphere can be very therapuetic ... I have no sources though, sorry

Than if that still doesn't help, try meds again I guess. Mirtazapine is what I used. For me, meds helped but they were too numbing. And coming off it was hell. Good luck

3. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

I'm also on mirtazaine (called zispin here in ireland). I have no idea if it would work well for you.... the only side effects i'm experiencing are the munchies. My suicidal feelings got worse the first three weeks after they increased the dosage, but have subsided again.

As for a therapist, I found mine through google. Seriously. Once I found a counselling center, I went for an initial assessment where she could meet me and vice versa.We spent some time at the beginning going over the confidentiality policies that the center follows.

You could try your local library. If you go the psychiatrist route, they will have medical directories that show where a doctor went to school, what hospitals they are affiliated with, and certifications and such. They might also have other directories of local services, like counsellors (not psychs) so it might be worth a trip.

All i can say is just express your concerns about confidentiality from the start and then take it from there. There's an article here on SF somewhere about interviewing a therapist to see if they would work well for you. There's also some articles on psychcentral.com that might be helpful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.