therapy and self harm (scared)

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by MourningAngel, Nov 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MourningAngel

MourningAngel Well-Known Member

Hey together,

my therapist told me that she would only keep up therapy with me if i made an effort to stop self harming. I always thought that when I'm better I simply won't need it anymore and that we would work on the reasons I self harmed without interfering with it. The problem is I'm not ready to give it up just yet. I'm scared to death because I need it. It helped me get through my entire life, I have self harmed as long as I can remember. I want to live without it one day but it seems to fast to me. I'm so scared. :distress:
    She's a really good therapist and it took me forever to find a free space.
    I really don't know what to do, please help me :sorrow:
  2. phaz

phaz Member

I used to cut myself a lot when I was younger. My arms, legs, chest, face, it's all scarred. Once, a few years back, in the hear of the moment I cut myself applying much more force that I ever had. I bled profusely, I could see a veins and tendons pushing out from the wound. I got scared, nautious, and felt deep regret. I wanted relief, I just didn't know how to obtain it. I realized at that moment, if I would continue cutting myself, the damage would progressively get worse and worse, to the point where I might make a big mistake (in hindsight).

It's important to find ways to vent out our feelings in the least damaging way to ourselves.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.