• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

Therapy didn't help me, and it's a while until i get more

Backflip___

They / Them pronouns !
SF Supporter
i had about 5 sessions of therapy a month or two ago. they were relatively low intensity (i don't know why as i made it very apparent that i am in a very bad state) and just didn't help me at all. it really wouldn't be a stretch to say i'm feeling worse. i now have to wait 8 months for more intensive therapy, which sounds like absolute hell , not to mention that's OVER the colder seasons where my s.a.d / depression gets so much worse. im just at a bit of a loss right now. my sister and a friend or two recommended i should just call the doctors and ask for meds, and forget the therapy bit because it obviously isn't helping. does anyone know what the best way to go around this is? i'm 17 so meds aren't typically given to people my age unless specifically asked and post-therapy.

it's probably just a problem with shitty minor therapy options over here in the UK . i definitely can't afford a proper therapist.

Backflip___

They / Them pronouns !
SF Supporter
Does school offer counseling?
it did, but before i could get it it closed because of the virus. even then i had to drop out of college during this time because everything was just getting far too much, so i don't have access to it anyway.

Damn. The NHS can be difficult to navigate and lackluster sometimes. I'm sorry you're having this frustrating experience.

I'm presuming you have no private insurance that could pickup the slack.

I would recommend consulting your GP about medication and your therapy options. You profile says you're from England, so you could also consider calling the NHS mental health line. Although you're the one who ultimately should decide whether you want to continue therapy, I think completely stopping therapy at this time probably wouldn't be the best move for you. Sometimes therapy can take some time. Have you explored other options such as CBT or MBCT? These might be better suited to help you in the mean time and you might be able to access these sooner than the "intensive therapy".

Stay safe. I hope you can find some help that works for you soon. Sending hugs *console.

Backflip___

They / Them pronouns !
SF Supporter
Damn. The NHS can be difficult to navigate and lackluster sometimes. I'm sorry you're having this frustrating experience.

I'm presuming you have no private insurance that could pickup the slack.

I would recommend consulting your GP about medication and your therapy options. You profile says you're from England, so you could also consider calling the NHS mental health line. Although you're the one who ultimately should decide whether you want to continue therapy, I think completely stopping therapy at this time probably wouldn't be the best move for you. Sometimes therapy can take some time. Have you explored other options such as CBT or MBCT? These might be better suited to help you in the mean time and you might be able to access these sooner than the "intensive therapy".

Stay safe. I hope you can find some help that works for you soon. Sending hugs *console.
i come from a relatively low income family so insurance and the likes aren't really something we can handle.
and yeah i think that's what i'll do. i'll get in touch with my GP and ask about it thanks :] and those other options are i think what i'm going to be put on in 8 months, they started me on 'behavioral activation therapy' which did nothing at all to help. they never did tell me what 'intensive therapy' was though so i can't be sure.
thanks for the advice, i really appreciate it *hug

i come from a relatively low income family so insurance and the likes aren't really something we can handle.
and yeah i think that's what i'll do. i'll get in touch with my GP and ask about it thanks :] and those other options are i think what i'm going to be put on in 8 months, they started me on 'behavioral activation therapy' which did nothing at all to help. they never did tell me what 'intensive therapy' was though so i can't be sure.
thanks for the advice, i really appreciate it *hug
Consulting with your GP is never a bad idea. Stay safe. *console

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$510.00
Goal
$255.00