Therapy Doesn't Help Me

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Holden, Aug 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holden

Holden New Member

Hi, first post here.

I've been feeling depressed for quite a few years and have felt very down for the last year. I rarely leave the house, I don't bother to keep in touch with friends and my sleeping patterns have turned upside down. I'm at the point where I don't see the point in getting out of bed and I fear I'm going out of my mind with boredom and loneliness and the constant struggle that goes on inside my head.

I've been to various therapists - psychologists, psychiatrists etc. but after a short time we get stuck and I can't make any progress. To be honest, I don't really believe I can be helped. I feel like quitting therapy once again because it's going no where and I don't know how I can ever help myself. I feel lost and alone and fear that nothing will ever change. I feel like my life is a ticking clock. I can almost hear the seconds of my life ticking away and I'm only nineteen.

I fear I'll never achieve anything. I don't ever want to have a job - I actually hate the idea. I worry all the time that I'll never find a girlfriend and my life will be a horrible mess. Everything seems to affect me. Even stories on the news are able to get me down. Life's biggest questions like 'why are we here?' and 'how did we get here?' are troubling me a lot.

I'm at the point where I don't know where to turn. I can't continue living in misery. There are still things I enjoy, but everything just seems so pointless and empty. If therapy doesn't help me then where can I turn? Am I just doomed to be this way forever? :sad:

The biggest reason I am posting this is just to share these feelings and write them down.

2. Feared.Desire

Feared.Desire Well-Known Member

Woah, I can relate to too much of that. . .
    Its useless for me too, I dont think some person with a large paycheck can really help people. What you need, is someone who will help you because they want to, a close friend. Thats the best kind of therapist out there, for sure!
    The feeling you don't want to do anything? Ya, I have the same problem. It's not really that I have anything better to do, infact, I'm sure I don't, I just lack the motivation to do anything, because in the end, 'whats the point'?
    Those big life questions are a pain, and I've given up on trying to answer them, and everytime I do, I end up feeling worse (If thats somehow possible).
    I also don't stay in contact with any friends, let the phone ring, and never answer.
    Are you doomed to be this way forever? No. It's just a bitch.
    The first, and most important thing, I'd say, would be find someone close you can always call, and tell everything too, always trust, and live for.
    I myself, have two or three key people that mean everything to me. I would die, and be sent to the seventh circle of hell, just to make them happy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.