Therapy fucking me up

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by tendenCs_89, Mar 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tendenCs_89

tendenCs_89 Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever felt worse off because of therapy?
    Before therapy I was quite confused and had a lot of repressed emotion and felt pretty bad. After doing it for a while, all my inner turmoil got released but it made me MUCH worse. I felt really low and more suicidal than before, almost as if I couldnt cope with what had come out.
    I have a friend who is in almost exactly the same position, she said she was quite depressed and very occasionally thought of suicide. After a couple of weeks of therapy and meds she is feeling suicidal practically every day and started cutting herself.
    I was ALWAYS under the impression therapy was good for me and in teh short term it has helped, but I have noticed a massive change in how I am overall. Even though I have a better understanding of whats fucking me up, I feel more and more fucked up as it goes on.... like i cant take what Im finding out about myself and what Im unearthing
    Anyone else have any experiences of this? Any advice?

2. Whitewolf

Whitewolf Well-Known Member

I don't trust most medications, for some valid reasons. Still i do realize some people need them, maybe your meds aren't working as intended.

3. tendenCs_89

i dont have meds, that was just my friend. Yeah I think shes being given new ones. Im talking specifically about therapy here.

4. evanila

evanila Member

I know what ur talking about,this was exactly the same thing what happened to me when i was on therapy,i couldnt stand that feeling and gave up.I mean,according to me therapy must make u feel better and supply you with the strategies so you can handle with your problems on your own,right?
    Trying to manage ur depression by yourself isnt working neither,things going worse.so i dont know.i suggest you to keep going anyway.Therapy must be the solution,people say so at least.Did u talk to ur doctor about it?Maybe it takes a while or u need to switch therapists?

5. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

yes therapy fucked me up, I saw a really shitty therapist last May and here I am

I am now seeing this cock sucker in the crisis center and I get the feeling he wants to control me

most therapists are scumbags, I think they are just in it for the power and money, when they realize they cant control you they get upset and then try to manipulate you

most people on this earth are scumbags, therapists are no exception, I think therapists may be worse off then the average person

6. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

Therapists are annoying because we give them so much authority (originally anyhow). Then you're sitting there and you realize the person across from you has no idea what he's talking about.

You realize that you could have just saved your money and looked up depression on Wikipedia for all the good they do :laugh:

7. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

true, I used to think Therapists were all knowing people who would wave a magic wand and make me better, now I realize they are just as fucked up as me and are more fucked up and they have no answers, I think people need to find the answers within themselves, those therapists who arent in it for the money and power will probably agree

I think therapists could do alot of good if they say nothing I will do or say will make you feel better, you have to figure life out on your own or stick up for yourself because that really all there is to life

8. Shifter

Shifter Well-Known Member

i was in therapy too as a kid, well look at me now, a big fucking happy success -.-

9. shades

shades Staff Alumni

At first, I was more f'd up because of the therapy and the meds. Then there was a period of flux where sometimes i felt better and somtimes worse. And while I think that the therapy part of it is generally helpful, I don't think that the meds are for everybody, because I tried several and none really helped. That doesn't mean they won't be helpful to you. So I think you should give it a good try.

10. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Often the thing with a lot of therapies (and with decent therapists) is that they have to reopen wounds from the past (which can cause the getting worse part), but then help you to heal them properly so that they don't cause you the pain.

Yes, it can be a bit of a brutal process, but with a decent therapist they should be able to help you through that and if you stick with it, they should be able to help you get to a place where you feel better in yourself.

I say that knowing that since I have started my recent bout of therapy I have gone completey off the deep end, but I can also see that my therapist is working really hard to get me through it and out the other side.

It's a shit scary process and a nightmare, but I have seen people go through hell and back and be better after working through it all.

11. tendenCs_89

thanks for the advice, but i still dunno wat to do ... :unsure:
    i guess ill look at the different kinds of therapy and see if any help me.
    I was also thinking about it deeper and I think that its given me some kind of manic depression. Like before I had therapy I was confused and miserable, but after having it for a while I feel stupidly eccstatic and happy and confident some days and then so fucking low and suicidal teh next.
    Ive never had that before therapy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.