Therapy: Give it a Try

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Blank Stare, Apr 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blank Stare

Blank Stare Member

Hey everyone. I've lurked on these boards for a while and post occasionally. The reason I felt so inclined to post this message is because of my recent experience with therapy. I have suffered from anxiety/depression for over 3 years without seeking any help. Finally, it got so bad (i.e. serious suicidal thoughts) that I had to do something about it. So, I set up an appointment with a therapist at my university. Going into it I wasn't expecting much as my depression had left me completely hopeless.

I was extremely nervous/anxious during my first appointment but even though I felt uncomfortable pretty much the entire time (which is actually a good thing) I felt hopeful for the first time in ages. Since then I've been seeing him on a weekly basis and every time I leave his office I feel a little bit better. Certainly I am not even close to leaving depression behind me but by learning how to see it in a clear and rational way has started to stack the chips in my favor.

Moral of the story: If you have the means and opportunity, give therapy a shot! Many people feel overwhelmed by the prospect of getting their lives back on track and I completely understand that feeling, trust me. But the great thing about being proactive is that every little, tiny "win", be it calling to make an appointment or simply deciding that you need help, feels incredibly good. I hope this post didn't come off as bragging or as a lecture, because that was not my intent. I simply want to instill hope in anyone that is suffering from this terrible disorder. If anyone has any questions or needs someone to talk to, please PM me! Take care.

Bill

2. Sa Palomera

Sa Palomera Well-Known Member

I completely agree with you Blank Stare!

I have refused any kind of professional help for years until I ended up in the hospital last year due to overdosing. That's when I basically was sent to a psychotherapist, and finally I decided to be open to it. I started a rather intense programme of daytime group therapy in June, and it took me a while. At first it got worse, cos I was confronted with so many things, and cos I had to actually start talking about stuff and all that. But the last months in general have been going uphill...

Professional help/therapy can really really help so much!

3. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

Hi Bill,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I am also getting some professional help and for me it's been very rewarding.

Catherine

4. bleach

bleach Well-Known Member

Yeah but it never last very long, in my experience. :dunno: Therapy didnt seem to do any good, either, because my biggest problems are with communication, and I can't communicate with a therapist any better than with anyone else.

5. Blank Stare

Blank Stare Member

Have you tried going to more than one therapist? Because it seems that a good therapist should be able to help you with communication problems. Most of the people they deal have been keeping "themselves" locked up inside for years and are therefore hesitant about letting another person, especially a stranger, in. My therapist has called me on it on a few occasions. He was able to notice that I wasn't telling him everything. Another key component is building trust between you and your therapist. The way I conduct myself in his office now as opposed to 6 weeks ago is VERY different because I feel more comfortable letting him into my world.

Obviously my situation is very different than yours and probably everyone else on this board so to say that therapy is the best approach may not apply to your situation. All the best!

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.