Therapy is expensive...and risky

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by topper, Dec 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. topper

topper Well-Known Member

I hear people saying they are not employed but still attend therapy. How do you all afford therapy?

I guess some of you may be in other countries. US here. This country sucks. Literally sucks the life out of people.

Can crisis lines refer you to affordable therapy? I've heard of sliding scale. But I've also been denied insurance before for going to a therapist in college after my mom died. I don't understand that at all. It discourages people from getting help.
  2. WishICould

WishICould Well-Known Member

Yeah that really sucks - You should move to the UK just to get free NHS - That's what most of the world does - move to the UK.
  3. topper

topper Well-Known Member

Believe me, if it were that simple I'd already've moved. I wonder how hard it would be to get a job. I've got a college degree and hotel management experience. I don't know why I even entertain these ideas. I've no motivation, or faith in myself, to do something so bold.

So NHS covers psychotherapy as well? Are there long waits? Anyone had relevant experiences?
  4. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

come north. i'm in canada. we have some psychotherapy covered by ohip (free provincial health insurance). you have to call around alot to find a therapist taking new clients but it is possible. psychiatrists are always covered.

i have a private therapist. i see her twice a week for 60 bucks a week, and i pay for it out of my disability cheque. she has saved my life many times over. after i pay my rent and groceries i have just enough left over to pay her. she's worth every penny.

i encourage you to try and find a therapist with a sliding scale. a good therapist makes a real difference.
  5. Chaddiwicker

Chaddiwicker Well-Known Member

The US health care system sucks. But hey, we just gave tax cuts to the richest 2% in this country because they're hurting so bad. :blink: And all those unemployed people? They're lazy, good for nothings who deserve everything they got coming to them. :dry:

I'm on Medicaid. Each state is different about what they cover and who they cover. Don't know what your circumstances are and I would guess that South Carolina isn't the most progressive of states, but you might look into that option.

Wish I could move to Canada or the UK. Any guys from there looking for a husband? ;)
  6. jota1

jota1 Well-Known Member

I am sure that there there are many cases when therapy is relevant but not all.

I tried it for a few sessions but I just found myself falling asleep so I gave it up. Paying for someone to listen to my rants felt silly.
  7. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

Check around with universitys and clinics in your area. I went to therapy for free for months at a university that had an awesome psych department. Yes, even in evil texas!!!!! ;)
  8. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

I haven't seen any OHIP covered therapy but I've never really looked as I get to see a real psychiatrist monthly. I do know that in downtown TO there are quite a few charity type groups with therapy that are free without OHIP though.
  9. nobody man

nobody man Well-Known Member

The money is the number one reason why I won't get help.... :(
    I wish it all were easier.
  10. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

if you look under gp/psychotherapy they are covered by ohip. the therapists are doctors who have undertaken additional training in psychotherapy. there are some clinics that are only staffed by gp psychotherapists. i think you need a referral from your regular doctor to see a gp psychotherapist but they are around. if you want a free therapist worth looking into.
  11. gakky1

gakky1 Well-Known Member

Same here, I was the foolish one though and quit my job, losing my insurance. I don't know of any places that are free, least not in my area, NY. When you have no money coming in even on a sliding scale it's unaffordable,:grr: plus the meds too aren't cheap. When I had insurance I was still paying over $200/month for that's a good question, what can people like us do?:huh:
  12. shades

shades Staff Alumni

I live in California and I've had a few very good therapists using the state system/sliding scale pay plan, which for me (when I used it) cost nothing.

Hope things work out for you as best as possible. Please take care...

13. topper

topper Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for your replies. I wish you all the best of luck in getting healthy.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.