therapy is not working

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by a 4 she, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a 4 she

a 4 she Member

Hi. I've cut myself since I was 16 or 17 and I'm 24 now. There have been times when I didnt do that, but 2 summers ago my mum went into hospital because she was very depressed and doctors were worried that she would try to kill herself (she's bipolar). And then I decided that I should visit a doctor because i was going trhough a very hard time. The doctor told me to take a pill for ansiety in case i needed to cut and that was all that she told me. I went to a psicolgist and she told me it was ok that I cut. What the... ? They don't even try to figure out why the hell i do that and I dont feel confortable enough to tell them what's in my mind. I think I may have a bipolar disesase as well or depression or something... why dont they see it?
    They're not helping at all.

Today I feel like cutting.

I hate this.

Life doent get any better
  2. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

If you don't tell them what's in your mind, they can't do their job properly and you won't make any actual progress. Life does get better, but it will require you to take steps on your end to progress toward it. You need to tell them everything you are thinking and feeling because only with complete information can there be any progress. Then, perhaps, life can get better.
  3. a 4 she

a 4 she Member

yes, I know, but they dont make it easy for me to say things. They don't make me feel confortable enough... meh
  4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

It can take a while to find the right therapist/support system.. if therapy isn't help you now and feel its never going to help, perhaps it is time to change. I can see the doctor's point of view-because anti- anxiety meds are supposed to provide near instant relief from what is bothering you.. and I guess she thought that was the answer. I would suggest going back to the doctor and telling her that this is not working out and you're feeling worse. Hopefully they can come up with a support plan suitable for you-wish you all the best. :hug:
  5. Wysteria Blue

Wysteria Blue Well-Known Member

Dear A 4 she,

I think Pick and Coca have given you some great advice... I hope if you truly don't trust your therapist and cannot be honest with them, then perhaps it is time to find another that you will be honest with and that has some experience with depression/anxiety and process addictions like SH. Many therapists even do not fully understand SH at times. Others totally get it and can be very helpful in teaching you new coping skills and how to learn to better handle the overwhelming emotions so that hopefully that behavior will stop. If the anxiety meds are not enough to help alleviate your pain, it might be helpful to go back to the doctor and ask for more help. There are so many for them to choose from and different combinations help different people very differently. Best wishes for some healing and do stay safe... Many people do understand and can help your a lot....

6. a 4 she

a 4 she Member

thanks :) I skipped last session. I dont know if i'll ever go again. I don't believe in psicology anymore...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.