Therapy or medication?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Petal, Jan 14, 2009.

?

Therapy or medication?

1. therapy

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
  2. medication

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  3. both combined

21 vote(s)
    67.7%
  1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

which one works better for you? :hug:

2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I voted "both combined."
    I would have killed myself by now if I hadn't gotten on medication. I still want to, but the panic is less intense so that I think I can get through the day if someone were to ask, or give me some kind of hope. That's what therapy is for generally. I have a great therapist. She has made me feel so good about everything, but nothing has ended up changing too much. I am a little less scared but the panic still resides in my body and I still want to kill it by killing me.
    So I guess I haven't found anything that's really "worked" yet. I suppose only God can truly heal me, and He will wait until whenever I am ready. I guess I'm not ready, because I still want to die.

3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Statistically, they work best in combination.

In my experience, they don't work...

4. ~Tosh~

~Tosh~ Forum Buddy

neither, i give up all hope....

5. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

Both.

Not that I'm overly convinced by either.

6. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

I voted both cos that's the treatment I'm having and it's working...however if I could have got the same results from therapy only I would have preferred that....I gained nearly two stones as a direct result of medication and it made me feel ghastly....I have since got my weight down though.

7. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

Medication alone is never going to cure you... it only treats the symptoms and doesn't get to the cause. However, I've been in therapy for a looooong time and still a looper. :rolleyes:

8. Panos

Panos Well-Known Member

Therapy tries to cure the mind while medication tries to heal the body.
    I voted combination of two cause for me neither of these alone worked.

9. plates

plates Well-Known Member

My counsellor always told me 'i'm doing things the hard way' by engaging with a therapist. But I always thought about what's the use of taking a pill and how psychiatrists responded with their 1 and only way of dealing with things - take some medication, how would that solve any of my problems whatsoever?

I know when I need medication. But being on that stuff long term. No way.

10. snowraven

snowraven Well-Known Member

ADs just made things worse for me. Just lost the motivation to do anything and sat there watching my situation getting worse. Maybe levelled me out a bit at first but that's all. As for therapy the best I have found has come from the people I've talked to here at sf.

11. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

neither, wish I saw a decent therapist about 8 months ago

12. Alexpt2

Alexpt2 Well-Known Member

I've been on a few anti depressants as well as tried therapy in the past. I didn't really get much out of therapy, however i'd still have to go with therapy over meds because every med i've ever tried has led to a marked increase in suicidal feelings for me. At least the therapy sessions didn't make me worse off. Meds Suck!

13. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

my shrink is trying to get me to take antidepressants, but I don't want too. I'm too scared and I don;t want to gain weight. She recons they are not addictive??? I told her I didn;t believe her. I think I will feel like a loser on anti-d's. I already have suicidal thoughts, can you OD on anti-d's?

14. Corieh Infected

Corieh Infected Well-Known Member

I voted both, because my medicine has helped quite a bit, but talking things out helps quite a bit more. So they're both helpful, in my case.

15. Adhara

Adhara Member

My psych is both a doctor and a therapist for me. She has me with a lot of pills - she says she can't reduce them, but she is also my therapist, and I talk to her 1 hour every few days. Thankas to that, most days I am stabilized, and she even says she thinks she can get me out of this - with time, that is. I've been years this way.

16. LastCrusade

LastCrusade Well-Known Member

for me, neither worked. it only made me feel worse and caused me to feel more inferior nad lowered my self esteem. Gave me the perception that I am a weakling, not fit to survive in this cruel harsh world. Get to the root cause of your problems, face it directly and move on. like a forumner said earlier, medication only treats the symptoms BUT the symptoms will persist UNLESS you solve your personal problems, whatever it is. Be Strong!

17. crookxshanks

crookxshanks Well-Known Member

therapy
    it has to as i cant take meds due to the amount of other meds im on for my epilepsy

18. mixedemotions

mixedemotions Forum Buddy

i get therapy and i'm also on medication...

i dont think i could go without either... i have always had both at the same time.
    i was orginally going to just have therapy to start off with, but after my furst session and my pysc realised how bad i was, they put me straight on meds.

i've been doing both now she a year and 3months... round about

the therapy really helps me to express my self. and the meds help keep me cam. i dont harm as much now, and my sleep is so so... it coulld be better!

19. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I voted both. If it weren't for the med regimine I am on I would already be dead. and therapy: my therapist is the best because she use to be like us and one day put her foot down and went to school and became a therapist so she relates to everything said to her. She is very good at what she does and I always feel a little better after talking to her...