1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Therapy or no Therapy:

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Stranger1, May 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stranger1

    Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

    I have been in therapy for 3 years now, and I don't see any progress. My tharapist says I am doing good because 2 Years ago you couldn't hardly get me out of the bedroom. It's my safety net. It is familiar to me. I have been locking myself in my room for around 11 years now. Before that, I was always a home body. I would go places but on my own conditions. I have always been this way. I have loved and lost several times. My therapist says it isn't my fault. She says they weren't ready to have a relationship. She told me it also didn't work because I always picked the so called bad girls in bars. I don't no if therapy is helping or not. I won't let anyone get close to me.
    There are several reasons I am like this. Not wanting to go on living is a part of me that hasn't changed. She tells me only about 30% of suicide attempts are lagit. The other 70% are just reaching out for some sort of help.
    I don't know if I beleive that. It wouldn't take much for me to do it. I can't blame anyone for the way I think. I brought that on myself. All though it runs in my family. I have two neices who are suicidal. One of them has the same problems that I do. My mom is suicidal. Her and my dad live with my older sister and her husband. They keep a close eye on her. Well thats about all I want to share right now.Thank you for listening,
  2. middleofnowhere

    middleofnowhere Well-Known Member

    Statistics are irrelevant. Any mention or attempt of suicide must be taken seriously. Don't let your therapist blow it off. If she/he seems to be doing that, you need to find a better therapist who will take you seriously. It doesn't matter if your threats are legit or just a cry for help. Both need immediate care, especially given your family history of suicide.

    My opinion is that relationships should be put on hold until you've shown progress with therapy. Suicidality and mental illness screw with your decisions and relationships. Selection of a girlfriend is a big deal that deserves your best judgment skills.

  3. itmahanh

    itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

    I agree. You might want to consider a new therapist. Any suicidal thoughts or actions should be dealt with and not put off as some statistic. Depression has a way of pulling one into a darkness that feels comforting and it hold you there. Please consider a new therapist. I know easier said than done because sometimes having to start all over can be frustrating and scary but you need to be getting the best help you can to pull yourself out of your pain and to be able to move forward.
  4. ThoseEmptyWalls

    ThoseEmptyWalls Well-Known Member

    Im glad that you feel comfortable with your therapist. If you want to keep going to therapy but you dont feel its giving you any real benefit then I would suggest that you listen to whats been said and find a new therapist. Your feelings and thoughts should be took seriously. Therapy is more then just feeling comfortable and having someone to talk to. Its about seeking help to improve your life. If the therapist your seeing now isnt helping you do that maybe its time to find another. I know it stinks having to build that trust and friendship up with a new person but its worth it to get some help.
  5. touglytobeloved

    touglytobeloved Well-Known Member

    Therapy or no therapy... Who cares? Sometimes there is no therapy that can help (like for me). What can the terapy do for me? To make me feel comfortable and satisfied with what I have? To make me accept the fact that Ill die alone? no, it cant do that. Its impossible.
  6. Stranger1

    Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

    Thanks for the input. I will consider it. Like you all said to make a change is scarey. It took me 2 years to feel comfortable with her . Thank you again.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.