therapy sessions are useless?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by lachrymose27, Feb 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lachrymose27

lachrymose27 Well-Known Member

i know all the answers already. change my way of thinking. who am i kidding, therapy won't help me. i need to help myself. i just want increase in dosage levels. i'm always on the verge of crying when telling my story, WTF?
  2. Similar case for me too.. Everything didn't work but running long distance work after a while.. especially when you have completed a timed run, you get a finisher gift for that.. a sense of achievement and a sense of self-worthy.. I didn't have the courage to see all counsellors face to face because i cry more than i can talk..
  3. black_rose_99

black_rose_99 Well-Known Member

I feel a lot like this as well, and I cry basically as soon as I walk in the room. I'm told I have insight, and although this is perceived as a good thing, and yes at least it helps me recognise the issues, I still can't SOLVE the issues, which is what I always hope to gain, but never seems to happen.
  4. In Limbo

In Limbo Forum Buddy

If this were a quick fix then it'd be nowhere near the story and size that depression is - alls I can say is stick with it, and allow yourselves to take backward steps...

I'm just a PM away
  5. Jenny

Jenny Staff Alumni

I can totally relate too.. I seem to know all the answers on a logical level.. I can see/think clearly about what needs to be done to change for the better, but doing it seems so much harder! I guess though i've been this way for 30-odd years though so change isn't going to happen overnight.. no matter how much i wish it would! Anyway, yeah, i can relate too x
  6. Screaminginsilence

Screaminginsilence Well-Known Member

I had around 30 sessions and i have to say it was only during my last 10 that i felt like i was getting anywhere!
  7. AnnieOakley

AnnieOakley Well-Known Member

I hate talking to my doctor, it seems he just isnt listening at times. I mean, it's his job, so, I feel like he just tells everyone the same thing. What's really been helping me out, is venting to people that deal with the same shit that I deal with.
  8. In Limbo

In Limbo Forum Buddy

Totally relate to this - and it may have been more for me...and as I say - you are allowed to take backward steps and have 'off days' within that...
  9. gakky1

gakky1 Well-Known Member

Same here and also the same feeling as Screaminginsilence though I was in way more than 30. Think after a while everything just gets repeated both by you and the therapist, it's even worse when you switch because then you have to start all over.:mellow: I think like you in a way that I know all the answers, don't but it seems most. Forget the article or exactly how it went, but it had stated the hardest people to change in therapy are the smarter people, like you say about thinking you know all plus it's hard to believe in some of the lame ways to think or act or even meditating.:mad:
  10. Obsessive

Obsessive Well-Known Member

I'm on my I think 7th therapist. I'm convinced at this point that they're only useful for venting to when you have no one else and exercises in confirmation bias for their pet theory of choice. Each one had a completely different conclusion on my issues, which they typically developed within the first two weeks, and any discussion and "suggestions" would always revolve around it. I've been diagnosed as OCD. I've been diagnosed as PTSD (despite there being no horrible event to speak of). I've been told that I'm not allowing myself to be happy, punishing myself, etc. No matter what I'd bring up they'd always find a way to connect it to their pet conclusion as if they had a clue. Now the therapist I currently have thinks I'm just over exaggerating my issues. Well at least he actually engages in conversation, whereas my previous one would basically just listen, make acknowledgment sounds after I finished ranting, and occasionally make a comment about wishing he could wave a magic wand and make the pain go away.
  11. Screaminginsilence

Screaminginsilence Well-Known Member

I think to be honest you need to find the strength somehow to keep on trucking, your counsellor needs to get to know you before they can start to help

I went for maybe 12 sessions just 'chatting', about random shite!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.