Therapy suicide

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Lost in translation, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lost in translation

Lost in translation Active Member

Well In my day to day struggle with living, I decide to turn to a therapist and see if they could help steer my thoughts in the right direction. I've only been a few times now and I'm still not sure what I make of it. I'm not always straight with them, for example she asks If I have suicidal thoughts...ok I answer yes. then asks do you have a plan? That's when I lie and say...nope no plan just thoughts, but that's a lie out of fear they'll try and send me to a psychiatric ward. Not a place I care to be at the moment. So I'm basically just sitting there letting some emotions pour out as I talk about certain events In my life. Then bam times up see ya next week...or will you? I've always viewed myself as an easy going, open minded person, part of the reason I decided to go. But after every session I leave with a sense of, do I really need this? I mean they listen and try to curve my thoughts, but I know what I did wrong and nothing they say will change that. I just sit there and wonder why did I make these decisions, and if I had sought treatment earlier on in life, I might not be in the situation I'm in today. I think that's what makes my therapy a struggle as well, because I am constantly thinking to myself that it could help, just that its a little to late for me. It's as if I've come to the realization that's my life is finished, yet here was a way you could have corrected it long ago.

2. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

Hey, Lit - EVERYTHING, but everything is redeemable. I know where you're at from what you've written - I was in the exact place 17 years ago, so many questions concerning my judgement, worth/value, regrets, future etc... I can see that you're searching for what you hope will be hopeful answers that you can resonate with and which can lift you out of your pit. Therapists suck if all they can say is "Do you have a plan?...."

Talking the events through with a psychotherapist can be a beneficial release of the bottled up emotions, but if she can't give you anything to latch onto and take away with you - which will point you in the direction of a new perspective, she's only reflecting back to you what you're already aware of. What is needed is a grand infusion of hope! :)

If you're needing help with understanding why you made certain decisions, this is all good stuff - it leads us to a deeper level of self-awareness. And it's the beginning of our soul journey into places we didn't even know existed, but dreamed about how life was going to be when we were children.

That might sound a little fanciful, but it's what I've come to believe is the truth after having been on this path for the past 17 years. Always here to talk about it and help you through with the questions etc. I've had to learn a ton of stuff in order to surface some of the decisions I made, but the answers are there for you, I promise :)

3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

A therapist hun is a great way to get some Help hun but you need to be honest ok Hell i tell my therapist hun i have a plan i am suicidal and he does not lock me up on he talkto me and listens and he guides my thoughts to a better way. You be honest ok and you don't give up on this therapist Never too late hun to get therapy to get help I am so old and just starting to get help hun and it is helping hun You deserve help and you take it ok but be honest hun so you can get the full affect of the treatment Therapist cannot fully help you unless you are honest hun hugs

4. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

:hugtackles: I know. But there's no time machine. We can only move forward from here, if we choose to.

5. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

There's no physical time machine, for sure (isn't 'Back to the Future' I fantastic in this respect?) - but our past can be redeemed into being considered still something that has value when one takes to heart what God says about 'restoring the years that the locust has eaten'. Physically we cannot go back and relive, but spiritually it is possible, for God is outside our paradigms of time and space.

I know that is "religious" talk, and maybe unwelcome or incomprehensible to some, but that doesn't mean it isn't true and doesn't work. Our past can be healed in order for us to face the present and the future with gratitude and confidence :) If it wasn't so I doubt I'd be here writing this

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.