Therapy?

Discussion in 'Welcome' started by Clay, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Clay

Clay New Member

First of, my native language is not English (as you might guess by reading further). I do understand it perfectly and there is no proper alternative in my language expect a suicide hotline. I am way to scared and ashamed to do that! And the chat room is only open for two hours a day. The hotline is even being mocked an parodied on television. After every movie or documentary about suicide they advertise the hotline, I can only see irony in this...
    I have just spend several hours browsing the forum. Also, I posted a thread in "my story". It's clear that most answers are about therapy and meds. This was to be expected, but not what I wanted to hear. I was hoping for some alternatives and here is why:
    My ex-girlfriend has been in therapy for years, and taking meds of course. I saw her last weekend (after four years), she told me she is not doing well at all. Half the time she is in zombie mode because of the meds and the other half she is in a deep and dark place. She has even gotten to the point of requesting to be euthanised (in my country this is possible). Other friend told me this, oh how people love to tell about other people's misery. I am a hypocrite of course by doing the same thing here but at least none of you know them or me. I wish I could recommend her this forum but unfortunately she does not speak English.
    My grandmother was doped up on meds half her life and she ended up <mod edit - method>to death.
    My friend is in therapy he is doing well at times but sometimes he relapsed and then I had to go and visit him in the hospital, all drugged up. It ripped me apart to see my friend and grandmother being here but at the same time not being here. My brother is on meds too (anger issues and mentally disabled) they have to change it every time because of the side effects. So I have seen my fair share of people I care about not doing well mentally and being "helped".
    Of course I know everyone is different and should be looked upon differently but I wish there was another way to help guide me out of the darkness, without having to take pills and talk to a proffasional who gets paid to listen to me...
    All my life I had to be the strong and sound one. So much has happened and every time they turned to me, even when I was a young boy. I can't do it anymore, I'm crashing and burning.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2016
  2. sahel

sahel SF Supporter

I am sorry that people you care about didn't get good results from therapy or medication.
    Do you have anyone to whom you can talk? Being the strong one is really hard, you deserve a break from it maybe by explaining your situation to those who come to you. Or, just talking to some friend or family member that cares. Take good care of yourself

3. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Lots and lotsof people do not use therapy and meds- just unfortunately the results are less than spectacular in the very vast majority of cases. Remeber that is what everybody was doing before they tried therapy/meds- trying ot help them selves and things continued to get worse - hence the professional help. The longer it is before a person gets real help the longer it takes to get "better". If a person spends years and years with no help then is not surprising takes near equal amount of time in some instances to get better. Not different than physical illnesses really-0 the longer you wait to treat something the worse it gets and the more likely to have permanent effects.

This is not to say none treat themselves effectively- there are many that do- just it will take far more effort and self discipline to be successful- 2 things that most suffering from depression and anxiety lack in large quantities because that is part of the symptoms of depression....