Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by swimmergirl, Feb 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swimmergirl

swimmergirl Well-Known Member

how do you feel after you go, especially when you are feeling really suicidal? I would expect to feel better, but I don't, it feels more like someone is teasing me with crumbs of food when I am starving. It just makes me mad and more determined to die because apparently there is no end to this pain.
  2. plates

plates Well-Known Member

i understand what you mean.

to be honest, this was the deciding factor for stopping therapy with my recent therapist. i've had a therapist i had problems with in the past but she dealt with me being suicidal so so well i was really surprised, cos i don't usually tell people, and then this one- i got nothing but frustration and misunderstanding.

what do you think the therapist could do to help you better? maybe you could tell this to your therapist?
  3. Shattered Soldier

Shattered Soldier Well-Known Member

This is the one thing that has always kept me out of individual therapy. I would really like to know who came up with the idea that talking about things could actually make things better for somebody who might just be clinically depressed. I could see how having a normal problem like having a family fight would help someone, but people have to realize that somebody just can't talk themselves out of having a problem with life itself. I used to go to group therapy and feel like my major problems with life were just pushed aside in favor of dealing with the other member's common problems.
  4. plates

plates Well-Known Member

people go to therapy for loads of reasons, some of them are
    1. because they want to live and are reaching out when it's so much easier not to. 2. they want their problems to be seen, heard, and feelings to be validated. 3. some people here suffer severe ptsd and flashbacks. 4. having guidance and proper support when someone is so on the edge can be important or there's more likelihood of someone just spiralling out of control and into hospital/death.
  5. swimmergirl

I am on the edge, and I want proper guidance and support and I am just not getting it. I suppose its hard for a therapist to work with someone who is suicidal, but in a way, this is when I need his help the most.
  6. mikey -g-

mikey -g- Well-Known Member

could you get a new therapist?
  7. Wastingecho

Wastingecho Well-Known Member

i know i'm being a hypocrite here given my issues, but (as much as it hurts to say it) these things take time

we both know there is no magic wand as much as we want there to be

it's hardest when we're feeling this way - you know i'm not bullshiting you - because it's so hard to get help when we feel that we don't deserve it

plus it is impossible to undo the damage that has brought us to this point in only a few sessions

wish i could point you to someone and say "go there - it'll work"

all i can i do is hang on, ask you to hang on and try to be here for you

we all want to be here for you

we all want you to be safe and well
  8. plates

plates Well-Known Member

exactly. i hear you so much because i've been in a very similar situation. a good therapist has to have the skills to do that and to act fast when you show those signs. have you been seeing this therapist long?

the best i can suggest, cos i have a fair feeling how unwell you are, is tell the therapist how you're not getting what you need, and you're left flailing around with very little support.

is s/he even offering you more regular appointments? phone contact?
    is s/he connected to a mental health team or separate?
  9. swimmergirl

I told him I wasnt getting what I needed and wanted from him and he has helped a lot. I guess I forget that you do have to ask for what you need, people cannot read minds. Its easy to forget that when you are in so much pain, its easy to forget lots of things when all you want is to not hurt so much.

Anyway, I am getting and using all the support and its making a big difference.
  10. plates

plates Well-Known Member

ok, i'm so glad he heard you, that you told him :biggrin: and you're getting the support you need.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.