Therapy

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Goldy, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goldy

Goldy New Member

Apart from useless doctors and dangerous meds has anyone ever tried any other therapy?
    Eft, Reiki, Acupuncture? I guess if any of you have tried it it didn't work coz your on this site. Ive had temporary success with eft but never managed to make it last. What am I supposed to do tap all fucking day??? I cant go counselling how can those cocks relate to my problems? Any suggestions or thoughts?

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

CBT has worked changed my thought patterns to less destructful ones Accupunture helps relax the stress in one mind Therapy it helps in that i have someone that listens to me not to many people i can do that with. hugs to you

3. may71

may71 Well-Known Member

be careful mentioning anything about acupuncture, you'll likely hear more than you want to know from me!

I have no idea what eft is

Therapy might be worthwhile. If you're really against it though, it's not the only option

acupuncture can help, but it can be expensive, and often you have to do it once a week for a while. chinese herbal medicine can also help. As with any treatment, there is wide variation in the competency of practitioners. also the price. price and competency are not necessarily correlated.

I got acupuncture at the student clinic of an acupuncture school. It was cheap and pretty good, but the students for the most part really didn't know enough to handle the herbal medicine well.

The book in my signature "Curing Depression Naturally with Chinese Medicine" is very helpful, lots of self-help methods.

Exercise, diet, meditation, all helpful

I've tried Reiki once, I thought it was cool.

maybe you would like group therapy?

4. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i tried a mindfulness course. lots of meditation and yoga. it worked quite well but was a lot of work. you have to be committed to do it everyday. it's more work than therapy and medication for sure. maybe you just had the wrong therapist. mine is great, she has saved my life several times over.

5. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

No that is not true Therapy can help you sometimes writing in a journal can really help you deal with your thoughts. Please don't think these doctors are useless they really care for you and can help you deal with your problems that have led you to this place that you're at now. You should get out of this dark place that you're in and let your family know whats going on with you.

6. Winslow

Winslow Antiquitie's Friend SF Supporter

At least for me, the best therapy is still my periodical sessions with my therapist. It's a wonder he can tolerate and remain patient with all my ranting and raving. Maybe there should be a specific thread where we can express the gratitude we feel toward the therapists who have helped us.

7. may71

may71 Well-Known Member

have you tried expressing your gratitude directly to your therapist?

8. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Goldy, unfortunately medication and therapy don't work for everyone. They didn't work for me, although they help a little bit, which is why I am still in therapy and taking a new medication (that isn't actually meant for depression but works for me.)

One thing that won't help is to put too much faith into any one solution. Don't think that the next thing you try is going to make you better in a day. Realize that it may be a multitude of things, all that help to make things better slowly and over time.

If you are feeling suicidal, I would get yourself to a hospital. If you don't actually think you're going to do it, but just are having negative thoughts, then you are doing the right thing by coming here, and hopefully you can take in and feel some of the support that has been offered here.

We are all here for you! Let us know about what's bothering you so we can try to help. We've all been there. Some of us are currently there, some of us have recovered, and some of us keep our illness under control, without it ever really leaving.

Much love :heart:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.