Theres just...nothing

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Shock, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Shock

Shock Well-Known Member

Yeah, so this is another rant. As usual just getting stuff off my chest. Just having a down moment. I am very tired of depression - no surprise there.

See, when I have severe drops in mood and bursts of chronic depression I just feel the need to reach out for some kind of comfort or, more likely, get some control of the situation. But theres just nothing. Except this site. Which is why I post in this thread section so often.

I also hit the net. Visit dozens of sites that offer advice on how to deal with depressive mood swings. But many of them are ridiculous. "Do something you love doing!" "Talk about it with a friend" ...Bullshit. If those things worked there would be no such thing as depression.

I know I am being very negative - hey, I've got depression after all - but I am sick of 'normals' or unaffected people telling me this stuff. And this includes councillors and psychiatrists and psychologists who, I think, take advantage of the situation.

As far as I'm concerned I am not the strange one - its the world thats fucked up, not me and if I choose to leave the party because I'm not enjoying it anymore who has a right to stop me.

2. Isabel

Isabel Staff Alumni

Actually those advices work but it depends where you are at in your depression. Sometimes it has taken such a hold of your life that meds and psychotherapy are called for before having the energy to do the other work. What really does not work is to expect instant results from following those advices. It works when being persistent in doing it. I would suggest looking into Feeling Good by Robert Burns. It has some very good exercises. Talking to friends can be a bit tricky as you must pick and choose carefully. Not all of our love ones can handle it and we must be careful about not overwhelming them. They have their life, their stress, their own problems to deal with as well. wish you well.