These Meds Are Useless

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Maeetras, Aug 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maeetras

Maeetras Member

I was feeling terribly suicidal two weeks ago, and at my girlfriend's request, I saw a psychiatrist who prescribed me with Lexapro. I'm taking it as asked of me, but deep down I don't feel satisfied with life. I feel empty, and I can't think of anything that would make me feel satisfied. Even if I was rich or famous or anything like that, I know I would still feel this way. I have many loved ones in my life, and I feel bad that I don't get a sense of satisfaction from them either. I don't have any dreams; I pick up tons of hobbies and activities to try to fill the void, and I'm pretty good at most things that I stick with for a little bit, but I soon get bored and give up. Because of this, I don't have a favorite activity. I just shift my attention from one topic to another to distract myself from feeling miserable for reasons I don't understand. I don't want my life to be one big distraction from an underlying issue; I want to feel fulfilled in life, and I can't think of anything that would make me feel that way.

I don't think my brain is capable of letting me feel happy or satisfied. Maybe I expect too much out of life. The last thing I want to do is leech off the kindness of this community by wasting everybody's time with emo posts, but I do want an honest opinion: Even if I am taking meds and seeing a therapist, nothing will ever get better since I don't want to get better deep down, will it?

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

The meds take up to 6 weeks to kick in give them time okay. Patience you have done a good thing going to get some help for yourself now give the meds a chance to work take them as prescribed and see what happens. Good for you for getting help. take care

3. akito38

akito38 Member

I am also on Lexapro and it took a bout a month for it to do anything for me. I can't say any anti depressant I have ever been on has made me happy. But it takes the edge off and can make things more bearable. Likewise anti depressants have different effects for different people. I was on effexor for 4 years and it worked well until near the end of the 4th year and I had to change meds. I startedt Remedol Or whatever its called and it didn't do a damn thing but make me lose weight. So unfortunately you have to play around with it a bit.

4. Angelo_91

Angelo_91 Well-Known Member

So you feel empty. Give the world of emptyness a few years and you get used to it.

5. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Therapy and meds take time.. If after about six weeks you feel the lexaprol isn't working tell your doctor and he will change your meds..Phsyc meds are a shot in the dark because everyones body chemistry is different..I have been on several different combinations of meds and have found the ones I am on now keep me stable..Therapy takes time because you have to build that bond of trust between you.. I have been seeing mine for four years.. She has helped make some changes in my life..All I can say is give it time and don't give up..

6. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hey there,

welcome to the forums.

You've only been taking them for 2 weeks. They can take anywhere from 4-8 weeks to kick in to your system properly. Hang in there :arms:

7. sweetpea0

sweetpea0 Well-Known Member

I have been on Lexapro and a combination of other meds for 5 years. They worked great. Give it time to work. If by the end of 8 weeks you are not better let your Dr know.

8. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

I've been on various AD's and finally found some that make me feel moderately better. Give them time. And another thing, you will still cycle, but not as badly after they have kicked in.

9. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Ok everyone has said it already but yep you need to give the meds a chance. And they dont work miracles so please dont be expecting that or you will be disappointed and possibly further down than you were. They will help to control many of the symptoms. They will give you a break from the constant thoughts and feelings. And during the time that your meds are working it is important that you get some professional therapy and counselling. They will be more successful then. Also as soon as you feel a change like your meds arent working talk to your doctor because you are usually given a fairly small dose at first. So that your body can get used to it and to see what if any side effects you might encounter. So after the first 6 - 8 weeks let your doctor know exactly how they are working and they might suggest a larger dose. It really is a hit and miss at first with the meds but with a little time and patience you will find something that can help you. Keep posting here, others know exactly what you are going through right now. Good luck!!!

10. Maeetras

Maeetras Member

I'm aware that meds take time to work, and I'm prepared to stay on them indefinitely. That's not the issue. The problem is that at my core I don't feel like life is worth living, and deep down I do not want to feel better. I don't know why, but I just don't. I was trying to imply that, unless I can change that mindset, these meds really are useless, or at least will only grant me a marginal improvement. Drugs alone won't fix this. I tried therapy once, and the therapist told me he could not help me because of the way I described my state of mind. I plan on trying another therapist, but I'm not hopeful about it helping me. I assume that there comes a point in therapy in which, if you're either too eloquent or too far-gone in describing your state of mind, they can't help you because you aren't ticking the right boxes.

I want to feel satisfied with life, but nothing makes me feel that way; I've tried to fill the void with family, friends, hobbies, sports, traveling, philosophy, religion, and everything else I could think of. For some reason, I just feel uncomfortable no matter what I'm doing in life; I always feel detached from life due to this empty feeling. I've felt this way for almost 10 years, and it's gradually gotten worse, so I doubt time alone will fix it.

11. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

I know how you are feeling. But that is the one real issue that I dont know how to help others with. I'm there too. And I cant help myself so I dont know how to help others. Just to keep offering a friend that you can talk to I guess. So because I lack the ability to help you change something so deeply set, I opt for the easier one and talk about your meds (lol). I know for myself I'm just so tired of trying and having nothing ever change. So yes I feel like I dont want to get better. I'm comfortable with being here, and too tired to try anything else. Maybe you need to voluntarily admit yourself to a pward and have some place safe to get a break from it all. Maybe there you will find other options of resources you didnt know existed. So when you get out you will have something new to focus on trying. I dont know the answer but I do hope that there is one out there for you. But hun, talking til your blue in the face if you have to can sometimes make that first little chip in the wall that you have built. So please if there is anything I or anyone here can do, drop a pm. I still do feel that the docs will find the right combo of meds that will help to also make another chip there too. And before long, your wall will start to crumble and maybe let a little light shine in on the darkness for you. Please keep safe and strong.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2009
  12. I know what you're saying. I actually feel really similar to the way you've been feeling. In just a year and a half I've been on a huge combination of antidepressants and antipsychotics but I have so little faith in them because I'm a nursing student and we have to learn about the medications. I keep wondering if there's any point in me pumping all these medications into my body if I don't have any faith in them that they really won't do anything.

Hopefully one of the medications will start helping you feel better, as others have said try to give it time, and if after the time talk to your doctor to get the medications changed.

13. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I'm glad to hear you say you are going to try another therapist.. You don't need to tell all in one visit.. Take your time and work on one issue at a time.. This will give you time to build a bond between you..It took me three therapists before I found the one I am with now..

14. Righteous

Righteous Well-Known Member

Pills can't solve tour problem, only a change in your life situation will make u feel better

15. yursomedicated

yursomedicated Chat & Forum Buddy

Lexapro gave me a happy and clean year and a half. But then they kind of wore off and became suicidal again. The others are right though. Meds can't completely solve your problem. That's why I take meds and SI... :(

16. Maeetras

Maeetras Member

I was just switched from Lexapro to Paxil because, after about 5 weeks of Lexapro, nothing was happening. Supposedly, Paxil has a significantly higher number of patients who commit suicide while on the drug as compared to other antidepressants. The next couple weeks may be eventful.

17. WldHair

WldHair Well-Known Member

My third day of taking Paxil, I wanted to kill myself and I felt like I could have harmed my family as well. It was the worst feeling in the world. I was driving and suddenly got a horrible urge. I threw the pills away and told my ratbrained doctor who said it was my depression and not the pills. Hello, at that point I'd never felt suicidal or homicidal. I tried to go without the drugs but I wound up getting on Lexapro where I became "Night of the Living Dead" for six months. Then I couldn't stand it and got off and I felt way better because even if I wasn't completely happy I felt in touch with my body again. Crashed again six months later and got on Effexor where I became "Whatever, Let Al Qaida bomb us to hell". So yes, keep trying until you find the right pills. I'm on Cymbalta and I feel normal. I still get depressed but that's just me. At least I can handle it. My friend takes a combination of Zoloft and Wellabutrin.

You're right, your issues are not going to go away, but meds and therapy helps. But if you have a chemical imbalance that you don't have the right meds, of course you'll feel empty and hopeless. That's how I've felt in the past five years. I had things to do, but nothing gave me any kind of reaction. At least with the Cymbalta, I can feel happy and sad, not like "whatever." It doesn't take away the fact that I feel alienated from people, that I'm not well-liked, that I won't be super successful in life. But at least I'm not hope-less anymore.

Stay in close contact with your doctor so if you need to change meds, you can. Usually in 3 weeks you'll know if it will be for the good or the better.

18. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

meds are all useless, just a way for doctors and drug companies to make millions and billions of dollars

people need to find happiness from within, sometimes it is hard in an evil world

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.