These past 4 months

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Kaos General, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

As you can see im back, for now at least anyway. I dont really know who is who on this site anymore but that doesnt really matter. Guess an update is in order, i no longer have liver cancer but i have hepatitis c again so im still screwed.

My life seems to have took a turn towards mediocrity and stagnation. I dont seem to be living at the moment i seem to be existing. I guess getting a job might actually cure that but as i keep getting told by the jobcentre and various agencies im virtually unemployable because of my long list of previous convictions. So im pretty much sitting on my ass all day with nothing to do except be pissed off at the world. 4 months ago i thought it was this very site which was the reason for me being angry at everything, but its not, its people in general. What they say, do and the way they act towards each other. People online seem to take great pleasure in belittling as many people as they possibly can in order to enhance their own egotistical desires, forgetting that the person that they are doing it to is in fact a real person and not just a line of text. It was happening on here a lot, but its nothing compared to facebook. Facebook needs to go on some sort of diet, it needs to ban all the moronic imbeciles who should never have a platform to spout their hatred from.

I think i probably just need to get out more.
  2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

I am glad to see you and that you do not have liver CA Hep C is no picnic, but a little there any freelance work you can do so you do not have to be a part of a company which places such absurd limits...I definitely know how that feels!!! Please keep in touch and let me know how you are doing
  3. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

Angerfist - hi. I am not new but I still don't think we ever "met" - I am Lu. Hello :)
    I am so sorry to hear that you are sick :( it is good news about the cancer - well done for beating it - but sad about the Hep.

I understand the issues with the job - I too have the criminal record problem and thought I would never find a job. I scatter fire applied for everything I vaguely thought I could do and was lucky enough to get a job where they neither asked about criminal convictions or checked references (though I did later confess all because the worry got to me). Just wanted you to know that if you persevere there are jobs out there. You just might have to apply for a few hundred first like I did :/

I agree that some people are awful to each other; being unkind shouldn't make people feel good or powerful but unfortunately sometimes it does. I try to feel sorry for people like this but sometimes I admit that it makes me angry instead. I am glad though that this site proves to me that there are good, kind, caring people who will support anyone who reaches out for help. Gives me faith.

I hope that you find the support you need this time. Please feel free to PM me if you would like to talk :)
  4. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

The major problem i have though is the CRB check that we have in the UK. It gives the employer access to your entire criminal record just on the off chance that you may or may not come into contact with kids. I have convictions ranging from theft, posession with intent to supply class a drugs, GBH with intent to kill, well, you get the picture. Ive been unemployed for the past 8 years so its not like its a recent occuranced.

I cant do anything freelance or self employed because i have no experience other than electrical work. Which is another major problem. In the UK you need experience to get a job, but UK companies would rather recruit from eastern europe because its cheaper and the workforce their are already trained, hence why we have a massive unemployment problem. Its probably why we are in another recession.
  5. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

It's really good to see you around here again! Not much else I can add, considering I'm still on the never-ending job search from hell too. Sucks when they tell you that you need experience to get hired, but how are you supposed to gain that experience with nobody hiring? And yeah, I agree with you about Facebook.
  6. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

Angerfist - I am also in the UK and I understand how the CRB check works; they can only do an enhanced check on you if there is "reasonable" grounds to assume you will have unsupervised or influencial contact with vulnerable people. I know that doesn't mean they can't do a basic check willy nilly and get your unspent conviction information though. If you don't mind me asking, how many of your convictions will eventually become spent? I reaslise that the length of sentence affects this - but if your convictions were eight years ago is there any chance of some of them becoming spent in the next couple of years?

I know that a lot of places and companies want expereicne - I had that problem too - no experience at all to do anything other than the one thing I could no longer do. In the end I used CV Library and applied for about 20 jobs a day. Anything and everything. I got a job doing something I have no experience in. I sat in the interview an literally went "I not only can't do what it is that you are describing, I have no idea what you are even talking about, but I am smart and I am hard working and I can learn it if you let me". And they employed me. Been there three months and still learning and it's minumum wage, but its a start. There are employers in the UK who will give you a chance, and there are employers who do not check things (I know this because I recruited for WHSmith for three years and never once checked a reference or a criminal history).

Gosh - that was babbly. I am sorry - just wanted to try to offer some reassurance that it is not completely hopeless.
  7. Underground

Underground Well-Known Member

I am not 101% sure of this, but I am pretty sure I've read that not all employers are allowed to ask for CRB checks. Especially not enhanced CRB checks (which lets an employer know about your mental health and misc. police contacts/reports). If you see jobs at the JC etc which have nothing to do with money, caring for children, or the vulnerable, then it probably violates the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1975. The reason employers do it is because they get away with it, nobody complains..

Might be of some use/help...