They said it wasn't 'self harm.'

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by undercoverlover, Apr 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. undercoverlover

undercoverlover Well-Known Member

I tried reaching out for help.
    I don't have possession of any blades, but when I was irritated with myself, I would hit myself constantly until I bled or got bruised very badly. When I tried telling someone, they said it wasn't real self harm. They said if I was serious, I would cut myself.
    I have bumps and bruises on my head, legs, arms, chest, and more. When I don't cut my nails, I slice my skin, usually on the upper chest, because I don't wear low-cut shirts or bathing suits, so no one can see it.
    I used to have fair skin, but now it's almost purple. I do a lot of sports, so many people think it's just from falling down.
    I don't know what to do. Every time I get irritated or frustrated with myself, I hit myself. I've even hit myself so hard I've passed out. Sometimes even when I'm not hitting myself on the head, I still fall unconscious from the pain. I had a SPECT scan recently that was diagnosing me with epilepsy (a seizure disorder), and it showed no head trauma, so I guess I'm lucky there.
    I honestly don't know what to do. I'm stuck, abusing myself. But I've been told it's not real self harm. So it's hard finding help. I will try to tell my therapist if you think that would help. I would tell my neurologist if I could, but he intimidates me, and it's hard to talk to him. He's too smart...he knows when I'm hiding things from him.
  2. dnE ehT

dnE ehT Well-Known Member

Tell the therapist. And who is saying you aren't serious?
  3. undercoverlover

I'll tell her.
    And this guy Antonio at my school was the one who said I wasn't really serious. He overheard me talking to the school counselor about it.
  4. barto

barto Well-Known Member

Bruising, scratching, headbanging, hair-pulling, ect are all forms of self-harm. My advice would be the same as dnE ehT. Tell your problems to someone who knows what they're talking about like a therapist.

I hope things work out :hug:
  5. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

that guy at school is just being a moron. hitting yourself is a common form of self harm. it's part of any definition i've ever seen. your therapist will know what to do. please tell her.
  6. AlopexAngel

AlopexAngel Chat Buddy

Whoever told you it isn't self harm is an idiot. Find someone who takes you seriously.
  7. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

it is obviously self harm, so the person you told doesn't seem to have much experience with it. you should tell someone else hun - get the help you need :hug: x
  8. undercoverlover

Thanks guys. <3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.