They Won't Accept It

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by malack, Feb 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malack

malack Active Member

I don't quite know what to do. My parents both seem to believe that my depression is not so much depression as it is just a "bad mood." They make millions of excuses for me, no matter how hard I try. I've already been officially diagnosed by three seperate experts throughout the past 5 years, and still my parents refuse to get me treatment, help, or medication. They even fire my theripists when they tell them I need help. Depression runs in the family, for God's sake. How can they still be in denial over this? I don't know what to do. This depression is dominating my life, ruining it. I feel like a totally different person because of it. I'm scared...I want help but I don't. I've been like this for so long, I can't imagine what it would like to be WITHOUT my depression. Would I even be myself anymore? I can't be without it. I want to hold onto it out of fear, and at the same time I can not survive with it untreated like this any longer. What do I do?
  2. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

Telling your parents you want help before something goes bad? Maybe that could give 'em a jab and on their way? I don't really know considering my parents are fairly caring people. I'm just to ashamed to tell them or anything :(. My depression stems of who I am and what I look like, usually. And I think it will always be a part of my life, how ever long that is. It can just be more bareable some days than others.
  3. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Malack how old are you? Is there any way you can try and get help for this without going through your parents?

Also you brought up an issue that I've heard talked about too many times to count on this forum. That depression becomes apart of your identity. You said if you lost it you might not know who you are. Although it may seem scary to get help and be rid of your depression, you have to keep trying. Reach out, don't let it consume you. Depression is not a part of who you are.

Best of luck :hug:
  4. malack

malack Active Member

I am 16 years old...
  5. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

I really think you should try seeking help on your own. Can't your GP or therapists get your parents to come round and realise you need the help? There must be some way of making them realise. Doctors have confidentiality agreements as well, so isn't it possible for you to get help without them being fully aware of it, perhaps? I'm not really sure how it all works or what the laws or guidelines are for this kind of thing where you live so I'm not entirely sure of how to help you on this. :sad:
  6. corang

corang Well-Known Member

I know somewhat how it is to have parents that don't want to accept the truth. My parents are making excuses 3 years after I had to be admitted to the psych ward. Are you still seeing any doctors?

If you are it might be a good idea to tell him what you really feel and ask him to tell your parents that they NEED to do something. If you arent say you want to see a doctor again. You will get used to not feeling depressed it might take some time and finding the right medication. If you think the medication is too strong and you dont feel comfortable you can always lower the dosage and ease into it.

If you want to talk you can send me a PM
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.