They're rushing it!

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by cult logic, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

Thursday I have an appointment with my new therapist.

Then on Monday I have an appointment to get new medication prescribed.

I feel like they're rushing it!

How could they know that fast what meds I need?

I don't want to be put on stuff that I shouldn't be taking!

The last stuff they put me on didn't work. I'm not even convinced the diagnosis was good!

It took until after I swallowed the entire bottle of it for that to become apparent.

It all seems so rushed.

I'm not sure what to do...
  2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

They don't know what meds you need. No one on Earth can possibly know that, no matter how much time they spend thinking about it. All drugs affect people in different ways. They're going to look at what your symptoms are, and then they're going to take the drug that's indicated for that with the fewest side effects, and they're going to basically make up a number, and that will be your dose. Then it's testing time. It's ongoing and it can take years even with a stable condition. With a messy condition that changes constantly, it can be indefinite.

"Psychiatry is not a science, it's more of an art" - my psychiatrist grandmother. Do your best and hope for the best, but there's no way of knowing what's going to happen.
  3. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Hey BCS,
    Them prescribing meds is a shot in the dark..Everyones body chemistry is different so they have to try different meds to find what works for you.. Keep in mind that they take four to six weeks before they actually start working..I currently take six different meds for the different problems I have.. They work for the most part.. I have been depressed all my life and i'm 52 now so I have a hard time finding an AD that works for me. The one I am currently on keeps me stable but doesn't make my depression go away..My other meds work just fine..If you feel you have been misdiagnosed then speak up and tell your shrink this..They will reevaluate you..And please don't eat the whole bottle because you won't OD on them you will just get sick..and possibly do damage to your liver..
  4. 1izombie

1izombie Well-Known Member

I can relate to the rushed feeling your having... I now have 3 different docs for my many fucked up problems and they all are pulling at me in different directions and it all seems overwhelming and it's all going very fast I just don't know how I'm going to handle it all without going completely insane.....if I'm not there already.

As for meds I agree with Stranger1, sometimes it takes trying several different meds before u find the right one that works for you. One of my docs says that taking combinations of AD drugs work better than taking one drug at a time so maybe you can ask your docs about that. Maybe that will work better for you. Idk just a thought. It worked pretty good for me when I was on 2 different AD meds. Anyways u need to remember that your the one that is getting the treatment here and you need to let ur docs know how u are feeling and don't be afraid to demand what you need from your docs cause ultimately your the one that has to do the treatment not them.

hope this helps
  5. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

I know they have to test which meds do and don't work, but they're diagnosing me with stuff I don't have!

Panic disorder? I have NO symptoms of that. Sure I panic sometimes, but everyone does.

Do they listen to me? Of course not, I'm crazy, I can't tell how I'm feeling!:mad:

They won't even consider depression, despite you know, being suicidal.

They think it's just anxiety.
  6. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

I met with my new therapist today.

I don't think he's going to force beds on me.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.