Things that have affected on your opinion about life, death and suicid

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by mistysautumn, Nov 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mistysautumn

mistysautumn Well-Known Member

What are the things that have affected on your opinion? Name books, music, movies and other stuff.
  2. mistysautumn

mistysautumn Well-Known Member

For me it's:
    a) Books - Paulo Coehlo - Veronika Decides To Die
    b) Music - The Cure
    c) Movies - Happiness, Prozac Nation, The Hours.
  3. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

For me, it's these 5 scientific reasons not to kill yourself

1. Your feelings are all chemicals
    Anguish over the loss of a loved one or feelings of helplessness have complex roots. But in the end they make you feel bad because they adjust your brain's chemistry. Happiness and its opposite are both electro-chemical reactions; those reactions are temporary and ineffable, and could even have hidden benefits. The symptoms of depression, for example - lowered energy, decreased willingness to engage with others - could be an evolutionary response to a pressing need to change your life, to get over a loss or make a drastic improvement to your personal situation. Depression provides exactly what you need (calmness, lack of interference) to reassess your life and make positive changes.

2. Your teeth were made in stars
    Except for hydrogen and helium, elements require such extraordinarily high temperatures to form that they can only be created in the stars themselves. That means all elements in you - the carbon in your skin, the calcium of your teeth - were born in the collision of atoms in a star. All that comprises you comes from way beyond your street, your country, and your planet. Makes those insurmountable concerns of your daily life seem a little less so.

3. Many, many creatures are depending on you
    You are literally never alone. While there are roughly 6.7 billion people on Earth, you may not feel that many of them at all care very much about your existence. But within your colon alone are living at least 1012 billion organisms, or roughly a thousand times the number of people on the planet. Stop your metabolic processes, and you stop theirs.

4. Rejection is a sign of progress.
    Pick any scientific field, and you'll find that those snubbed by their communities, left feeling alone and despised, were often those on the forefront. Mendel presented his treatise on pea genetics and died virtually unknown - and the idea of the predictable inheritance of genetic traits only achieved wide acceptance eighty years later. Don't conflate feeling outside those around you with being worse than them.

5. Pick a leaf, and it's all your own.
    If you live in the right climate, take a walk down a leafy street this fall. Those leaves, triggered by a sequence of amino acids in DNA and growing in a startling combination of symmetry and individuality (much, that is, like you), face the sun for a time and then fall away. You can assume that the leaf you see let go of a branch and fall towards the ground has never been considered by any being but yourself. Catch it in your hand - or, even better, keep walking until one falls into your reach naturally - and it will have spent its whole time on the planet without ever touching the ground, only because of you.
  4. vieome

vieome Member

1. The President of Zimbabwe and his gang of thugs.
    2. Racist Africans
    3. Police and Army Brutallity
  5. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

Outreach person when I was a teen. (38 years ago)

"Woman and Nature: The Roaring Inside Her" by Susan Griffith. Not sure I got the author name correct cause I can't find my copy. This book reached into the deep places in me and allowed me to recognize myself in this screwy world.

"Raising Self-Reliant Children in a Self-Indulgent World" by H. Stephen Glenn and Jane Nelson. This book explained so much about why everything was such a mess around me.

The Bible. This is where I got my backbone to live life. Many of the fears I use to have are gone. Proverbs is a good book. Its full of the little sayings that help one in life. I began asking God to teach me. I asked God to show me who he is. Job chapters 38 - 41 have direct quotes from God.

In 1995, I asked God to be my father when my own father died. God takes very good care of me.

Future Shock describes how accelerated life affects life because of rapid change. This helps when trying to understand the impact on me. I learned to let a lot of stuff go. Trying to keep up is insanity producing.

"Gifts From The Sea" by Anne Morrow Lindburgh. She describes the stages of life using items she finds on the beach during her vacation. I first read this when I was 15. At different times in life, I have reread it and new meaning leaps from the pages.

"Alcoholics Anonymous" is a very helpful book.

I imagine I could go on and on with this list, but I think I would be here all day. :)
  6. Tastelikeblood

Tastelikeblood Well-Known Member

These all have good results... Meaning they help me not think negative thoughts...

1. My family

2. My music (that I create)

3. Friends... My good friends, not the shitty ones...

4. Marijuana, X (Really opened my mind in a good way), alcohol (gets me loose)

5. Meditating. Not meditation, just thinking about the universe and all that.

6. Imagining what I could be and going for it.

7. Music in general, it's brilliant what sounds can make you feel.

8. Love and all things included
  7. max0718

max0718 Well-Known Member

The book An unquiet mind was a really good read to me. It's a autobiography by Kay Jamison, who is a psychologist, about dealing with her bipolar disorder and other things in her life. I can't remember who, but it was recommended by another member on here. Whoever it was, thank you!

I also enjoyed The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath.

For the most part I think, my opinions on depression and suicide was formed by a lot of research (mostly online) and also by observation of every day life.
  8. morfea

morfea Antiquities Friend

"Emotional intelligence" and "Plato, not Prozac" - books
    "Contact", "K-Pax" , "Space Odyssey" - movies
    The Doors
    learning to use the computer and internet
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.