Things that I don't understand about life as a Christian

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by nicesinging1, Dec 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicesinging1

nicesinging1 Well-Known Member

This is my 2nd post of the night here. I am going through such terrible emotional pains now and I hope you guys don't mind me posting again.
    There are things in life that I am just lost, confused, and can't understand. I will list them below and hopefully some people can provide me with insights.
    1. Why do innocent, good people have to die and suffer?
    2. Why does life have to be unfair?
    3. Is it your fault if you were born with terminal illness?
    4. If you were born gay, how are you supposed to live with that for the rest of ur life? Isn't the Bible against homosexuality?
    5. Why didn't God save tens of millions of innocent people, mostly civilians during WWII? How could He possibly let such horrible mass-scale atrocities happen? Why didn't He intervene?
    6. Where is the world going seriously? Maybe it is just me, but I notice people getting more evil, greedy, losing conscience, moral values, violence happening all over the world.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

I would suggest before you try to answer any question that you fully understand the question you are asking and the assumptions you are making:

For example, if I ask "why don't women like me"?
    I then have to think "what do I mean by me? eg. do I behave differently to women I fancy to those I don't.
    What do I mean by 'like', do I mean get on with or find me sexually attractive?
    What do I mean by women, do I think of all women as being the same or do I think of them all as individuals?

Often the question I originally asked isn't really the one I wanted answering. Hence, I don't want to tackle your questions, merely suggest that it is a useful exercise to think about what you are asking. If you'd like my thoughts on them I'd be happy to try and help though.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2006
  3. Fatman1966

Fatman1966 Antiquitie's Friend

Well I can answer that one, you simply have no choice, as much as I have tried, I can not deny who I am, the desires I have, the need to be loved and in my case that would be by another man.

God made me this way if you like, I had no hand in it, no choice, it's the way I am and as much as I have denied it, there is nothing I can do about it.

May be "god" or what ever you believe in, is not perfect, not all knowing, not all seeing, may be we just have to do the best we can to be good people, in what ever way we can, may be thats enough.

The bible is simply a book, you read it and take away from it, several different, sometimes, opposing views on almost any subject, but I think the general message is what's important, rather than the odd passage that contains just a few words, saying don't do this or that, words that have long since lost there orignal meening through thousands of years of translation and evolution of language, the word "gay" for instance has only recently come to meen homosexual, so who can really know what the true meening was behind words written thousands of years ago.

4. thinker

thinker Guest

I believe I have reasonable answers to those questions from a formerly-Christian perspective, but let me ask you nicesinging1, would you really want to know the answers to those questions no matter what? I know those things really make you wonder and all, but I really don't think the more objective answers are necessarily good for most people. That was the hardest thing for me realize because it was so ingrained in me that truth=good.

Maybe better questions to ask are things like, "What can I personally do to feel better?" Answering those kinds of questions might actually help you out.

One question I have- are you really a nicesinging1?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2006
  5. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

"If you were born gay, how are you supposed to live with that for the rest of ur life? Isn't the Bible against homosexuality?"

Isn't the Bible against lying?
    So if you lie how are you supposed to live with that for the rest of your life?

Again I would urge you to find your own truth, let me ask you a question... what colour is the sun? If you say yellow you are right, but you are wrong, if you say white, you are right but you are wrong. Unless you know what your question means you won't know what your answer means. I know I'm being cryptic and I feel bad for it, but admitting we don't know is often a lot better than pretending that we do.

6. thecleric

thecleric Guest

(...and a lot of related questions...)

Because this world is a "vale of tears," as the psalmist put it. Peace and justice are only certain in the next.

Why would that be? Because God gave us freedom. And nearly all of us use it poorly.

Why did God give us freedom? Because He doesn't need robots.

So we slog on, as best we can.

8. thecleric

thecleric Guest

Why, thank you.

What a terribly interesting question! I haven't the foggiest idea, but here are a few possibilities:

1. The closeness to God that's available in Heaven leads to such an overwhelming sense of unity, love, and peace that the idea of sin never crosses your mind.

2. The experience of time seems to be quite different in Heaven. This can be backed up both by scripture ("I who knew you before you were born", etc. etc), and by the reported near-death experiences of many people. So who's to say if saints get bored?

9. heretohelpu

heretohelpu New Member

Well, I think the answer to this question lies in the history of this world. God predetermined that Satan would fall because he ordained that sin would be the order of this world. Once a Christian has forsaken their sin and chosen to follow and obey God, they are "saved." This means, through Christ, their sins are forever forgiven and they are atoned for by Jesus' blood sacrifice. Since this is irreversible and Christ's death is perfectly complete, it would then be impossible for a saint who has been saved to revert and return to sin that they have been forever saved from. Besides, Rev. 21-22 explains explicitly that God will create a new heaven, new earth and new Jerusalem. In short, he will completely destroy this present earth-universe system and start all over again. This means God will forever destroy sin and the ability for sin to exist.

10. johnsmythe

johnsmythe Well-Known Member

I have some questions about sin. If god created all, then WHY THE HELL would he create something he doesn't approve of? How can you be "saved" from god's will? How does that work?

But, on topic, unfortunately I believe that all your questions cannot and will never be answered. I think Ziggy's post was a good one.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2007
  11. Bostonensis

Bostonensis Guest

The answer is simpla but the process is next to impossible. Start writing with your left toe.

12. Darken

Darken Well-Known Member

If god is all benevolent and omniscient it would have done that in the first place. Saving billions of people from going to hell for eternity. It also doesn't make sense that he would change the world if he created it perfect. Heaven and new earth would be the same thing as old earth all over again. A perfect god doesn't change his mind. Giving humans free will is best... um never mind i'm going to remove that ability next time. lol

13. anonymous51

anonymous51 Staff Alumni

ive got a question that christianity doesnt explain. If god takes every one of us for a reason then why do babies die in childbirth. how can child be judged to go into heaven or hell when it hasnt had a live to commit sins or be a good christian.

14. Eno

Eno Guest

As far as I can tell you are very in touch with the truth. The truth hurts and so most people ignore it through distractions such as shopping or what is on TV and all that crap. Some decent people are just to busy working to pay the rent, feed the kids and such to even think about these kinds of things. I am sorry you are troubled by these thoughts. All I can say is I have learnt that you can only change the world by changing yourself. Look into your heart, your true feelings, that for me is where whatever God is exists. And remember that most of us can only change the space around us and more so if we are at peace with ourselves.

I used to be so like you. You ask the same questions as I used to ask. You are questioning whatever God is (that's what I call God for now after years of searching within and without). I know it's hard but at least you care. I I can only tell you that walking the path of life can take you many places, some unexpected, some unbelievable, but for me I have walked with an open mind, researched many many things, been through a lot (I was the prodigal son and I am finding my way back home to the true me more each day) and life has not always been easy, at times very trying, and others much better, but it has been worth it. Do what you have to to find answers. The journey of searching has been an amazing journey for me. And many answers have come in unexpected ways. The Lord, or the universe, works in mysterious ways. For me, more mysterious than I ever could have known. I know now why Native American Indians call whatevr God is The Great Mystery or The Great Spirit.

A few pieces of advice I can offer from my journey so far are - Be good to others when you can and to yourself if you can let yourself, listen to your heart and your feelings, walk the path the best you can but don't be to hard on youself if you wander from it as we are only human and so sometimes learn from our mistakes, it's not all right and wrong and black and white because there is a lot of grey area, whatever God is it is not some big dude who can just stop things and make evrything dandy but whatever God is I feel it as all of nature, the universe, everything natural. Sorry I'm rambling.

Oh and I've found that things are not right or wrong. Good or bad. They just are. Basically shit happens.

Oh yeah. Grace, foriveness, acceptance, healing, love over fear, Beauty. Words like those have helped a lot in my life. I hope your search finds you as I am now, able to live with myself in this mad world. I wish you well.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  15. Azul

Azul Well-Known Member

The way i see it: we have been given free choice so it's up to us to make the world a better place, if we fulfill the "will of God" we bring God into this world; we bring heaven on earth, God's kingdom; if we act according to the world we perpetuate the hell that is this world.
    How could there be redemption without suffering? Suffering is the way to recognize the divine - as the possibility of abandoning suffering. Once this is recognized, the possibility of redemption, it is up to us to choose sides, love or indifference, divinity or mortality.
    Forget all that old testament crap, read the gospel of John and the apocryphical gospel of Thomas with an unprejudiced mind, don't believe the priests.

16. Anonymous2

Anonymous2 Well-Known Member

Evil and suffering are one of the greatest challenges I face when trying to rationalize my belief in a higher power. Perhaps these theories/philosophies below will help you in your quest to grow closer to God.

Why Evil/Suffering Exist?

1. Free will: God gave us free will because without the ability to choose good over evil we would be like prisoners. Just as one has free will to choose hate, one must also have free will to choose love. If God did not give us the freedom to choose love/good, our love would not be true because forced love is never true. Think about what would happened if you tried to force a lady to love you….you would inevitably fail because love requires free will.

2. Evil as Therapy: Having challenges in one’s life may be a test of faith. If everybody had perfect lives and received unconditional love without pain, it would be easy to avoid sin. Perhaps life is not about how much one sins but how much one sins in comparison to how much evil they experience. Perhaps life is about how we choose to cope with evil – do we fight evil with evil or do we remain just regardless of life’s difficulties.

3. To know good one must know evil: The only reason we can acknowledge a truly altruistic act is because we know what a truly evil act is. We appreciate the good in life because we are aware of the evil.

4. Why are some people born in pain, ill, or disabled: This is the most challenging problem I face. Many children are born with gross disfigurements, severe disabilities, and severe chronic pain/illness. Other, such as myself, develop chronic pain/illness later in life for no apparent reason at the most unusual times. For example, my chronic pain came about in my early 20’s when I had finally decided to turn my life around and try to follow Christ example. I was and am ready to do good, but I no longer have the physical/emotional abilities to do my best or even close to my best at helping others…..Enough about myself, my problems could be much worse.

My only explanation for congenital disabilities/illness is free-will. Not the child’s free-will, but mankind’s free-will and the free-will of Adam and Eve that caused them to be cast out of the Garden of Eden. Adam and Eve were cast out of the Garden of Eden into a world of natural evils. Perhaps it is mankind’s toxic world and abusive behaviors (drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, lack of exercise, bad diet, emotional/physical pain others inflict upon each other) that have lead to the disfigurement/illness of mankind? If this seems like a weak argument, that’s because it is. I can not rationalize the congenital disability/illness phenomenon. Perhaps a more enlightened individual will be able to explain this phenomenon better.

Have a nice day!

17. Isa

Isa Well-Known Member

Christianity is what its name suggests, following the teachings and example of Christ, not the Bible.

The bible is irrelevant. Plus the fact it was biasedly written by mortals, not Jesus, and not God. Its God we answer to, not the saints or the prophets, some Christians should remember that.

Jesus taught us to love each other and that God loves us no matter what, so while I cant answer some of your questions:

3. Is it your fault if you were born with terminal illness? No
    4. If you were born gay, how are you supposed to live with that for the rest of ur life? Isn't the Bible against homosexuality? God wants us all to be happy, God forgives us all our sins, God gave us free will << three facts about God.
    6. Where is the world going seriously? Maybe it is just me, but I notice people getting more evil, greedy, losing conscience, moral values, violence happening all over the world Thats people, not God

18. Isa

Isa Well-Known Member

God doesnt choose when we die, we die when we die, he just provides us with a safe place to find relief afterwards.

According to The Bible that child would go to hell, as children are born with demons, but I dont believe that.

That contradicts the "facts" about God being kind and loving.

I think if you are pure of heart and innocent, God deems you a good person, only if you wish harm on others would you be classed as evil in Gods eyes, I think he keeps the babies safe too.

Even if you do hurt people, if you didnt mean to, if thats not what you intended, he forgives you, even if you cant forgive yourself, but if you dont feel sorry for hurting someone, you go to hell.

Hence the myth that you must repent your sins on your death bed.

But you dont need to repent anything, God knows your heart.

19. Azul

Azul Well-Known Member

Where does it say in the bible that God takes us for a reason?

20. Anonymous2

Anonymous2 Well-Known Member

I like what you have to say, Isa. Like you I also think that our actions, heart, and thoughts are more important than following strict church dogma. For example, I do NOT think an individual who dedicates their life to helping others, loving others, and doing good will only go to Heaven if they practice Christianity and consciously accept Jesus Christ as their savior in this lifetime.

Many fundamentalists’ believe that only those who practice Christianity and consciously accept Jesus Christ as their savoir in this life will receive salvation. I think this ideology is terrible because it excludes the many great individuals from other cultures and religions who have done great things. Many Christian fundamentalists' believe people like Gandhi, Buddha, and Shankara will not be saved since they did not practice Christianity. Personally, I think they will, and I think one does not have to contradict the teachings of Christ to believe this.

If one adopts the Inclusivist ideology, one can still believe in the historical Christ and that others outside of Christianity will be saved. Inclusivists’ believe that the Christ spirit is working in all good people whether we know it or not. As long as one accepts that spirit one is accepting Christ. Like Isa says, God know our heart. Our action not our words show whether or not Christ is at work in our souls. Although this ideology contradicts literal interpretations of the scripture, nothing in the Bible should be interpreted literally and the idea of allowing the possibility of salvation for all (even atheists and non-Christian religions who try to live moral lives) seems much more in line with what Jesus Christ would want. I can NOT believe that he would only offer salvation for devote Christians, it contradicts his character.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.