Things that Trigger a Memory

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by MiraWolf95, Oct 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MiraWolf95

MiraWolf95 Account Closed

Didn't know whether this would be better in The Coffee House or here, so I just took a guess and chose here, sorry if this isn't to correct, but anyways.. Is there anything that triggers your memory to remember something or someone? I don't mean to upset anybody, you don't have to tell if something hurts to much, but what reminds me of my horrible past is Poptarts. They taste good but remind me to much of when I would eat breakfast and get ready for a dreadful day of school from Grades 1st to 8th. Each time I eat a poptart now I nearly start crying and people think I'm insane for crying over eating a poptart. It really hurts me emotionally to eat one cause it triggers flashbacks of me being held back from my panic attacks by teachers and being laughed at as well as running into the restroom to hide. I'd always go to the nurse or office and call my mother, but eventually they stopped letting me do that. I am now a 15 year old Sophomore but poptarts still manage to make me have flashbacks of all that. So yeah, is there anything that triggers a memory of something or somebody? Share it here and discuss with others as well as me.

2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Lots of music. I was never much into music until I met Sarah. Then she shared all of her favourite music with me... Now if I hear any of it I'm reminded quite painfully of her. The smell of cat urine also reminds me of her but that's more indirect - I worked at a job involving ammonia for the first few months I knew her.

3. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

Certain weather and smells. I don't really want to go into details.

4. BP#1

BP#1 Well-Known Member

Blasts/explosions, give you feeling of helplessness, you cannot control it... Triggers memory,,

5. vroomvroom911

vroomvroom911 Member

Apple juice, I got really sick when i was younger, with food poisoning, and my parents made me drink a lot of apple juice and i couldn't keep anything down, so I puked up apple juice for about three days straight. I was in the first or second grade, I'm 18 now and just the thought of drinking it makes me want to puke.

I usually run from things that trigger painful memories, I have most of the memories from 7th through 10th grade locked away some where, and anything that reminds me of them I either don't go near or have packed in a box somewhere that I refuse to touch. Giant muffins, A type of Axe, glitter paint, orange flavored dark chocolate and an assortment of other unusual items.

6. MiraWolf95

MiraWolf95 Account Closed

Cool answers so far.
    Another one of mine would be Sprite reminds me of being at the doctors as a little kid cause my mother made me drink it the most when I was sick. The taste and smell triggers a little flashback of being little clinging to my mom at a doctors office. A cute memory, not bad cause whenever I was sick, my mother treated me so well. I would also buy a bottle in a little pharmacy that was set up at place we would go to.

7. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

The part of Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb" when the lyric 'There'll be no more AHHH' goes by, the scream always reminds me of being a catatonic mess on the hospital floor. It's not nearly so severe as the poptarts issue, but it still takes me back.

8. Sleepwalk

Sleepwalk Well-Known Member

Music is a big one for me. Takes me back, usually to thoughts of my ex. Sometimes good memories, more often than not, not so much.

9. Confusticated

Confusticated Well-Known Member

There are a few things for me. Me and my ex didn't get to actually see each other much, we spoke everyday and all but only spent about a month and a half of time together in person, in about 13/14 (depending on whether or not you include a month "break") month relationship. Just before we broke up though she did stay at mine while my family were away. So now, a hell of a lot reminds me of her. It can be something as simple as taking the fan upstairs when it's too hot, looking at the seat she'd sit in, laying on the sofa, even taking food out of the oven. It all depends on my mood, really. Sometimes I'll look at the computer and expect to see her too, and of course she's not there, she's with someone else now. Probably happier. It's just horrible that so much reminds me of her in my own home, so much.

The flat I used to live in when I was a child also has a lot of bad memories tied to it, two rather horrible ones, and it's really close to my house. When I walk by it, that triggers a lot of memories too. Sort of linked to that is anyone who calls me "Waynie". Hearing it almost makes me angry and afraid at the same time. So I guess there're quite a few things that remind me of past events I'd rather forget.

But then wherever we go, there'll always be something, won't there? I guess we have to be strong enough to get over everything, or at least strong enough to be able to cope with the memories we have. Only then will we be able to find some form of happiness in this life.

10. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

if ever you get the chance to handle birds of prey, take a young falcon (a steady bird, not an unmanned one or youll have no face left) and stick your nose into the feathers at the back of the neck and inhale, that smell always takes me back to my first days in falconry, its a unique smell that always reminds me why i love my work.
    Also the smell of puppy breath always makes me feel happy and playful.
    i have many songs linked to points in time, like moloko, the time is now. always reminds me of a good friend and amazing artist, julia from germany.
    all david gray songs remind me of my first boss and the many many piss ups we had at the centre.
    the smell of a storm also reminds me of the village i grew up in and the smell of wild garlic and the flowers in bloom remind me of the years i spent in the woods as a kid.
    by the same token the act of taking my meds everynight always reminds me of how bad my illness can get and its certainly not pleasant memories i have.
    The smell of ferrets always reminds me of the days hunting around swinton castle, the days relaxing laying in the fields and running my old dog.

11. Landlocked blues

Landlocked blues Well-Known Member

Listening to Blink 182 always reminds me of my best friend. If im in a good mood il be thinking of the happy times we shared singing along, smoking and drinking tea. If im not feeling to great il be thinking how much i miss him and how i wished id gone to heaven with him.

12. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

When I hear;
    +44 - When your heart starts beating and also Good Charlotte - The River. I am noty a fan of either band, but they do remind me of early 2007 when I had a massive manic episode and went missing for 3 months all over the US. I was eventually hospitalised and deported back home. When I hear either song, a little part of me wants to stop taking meds and go manic again.

13. foreverforgotten

foreverforgotten Well-Known Member

round orange pills..
    my old manager.. i saw her in frys the other day..
    and left real fast.
    holes in walls..

14. red ribbons

red ribbons Well-Known Member

Smells, sounds, textures, feelings, visual images, my thoughts...

15. meowmeow

meowmeow Member

Scents remind me of events and people

16. BrinkOfExistence

BrinkOfExistence Well-Known Member

Orange cordial reminds me of the game Quake.
    Head lice solution reminds me of the game small soldiers.
    Alot of songs from 2003...2004...2005 and...2006 remind me of my ex girlfriend, for obvious reasons, however they don't they don't make me feel good.
    Wet (due to the rain) tarmac reminds me of when i was between 10-12 years old and playing out with my friends.

17. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

Different smells always remind me of different places and experiences from my life. Like, for example, the smell of churros always remind me of Disneyland for some reason. The smell of certain candles and incense remind me of when I lived by the beach. Other random scents always trigger random memories that I only remember when I smell them.

Also, when I hear songs from my high school days, I'm reminded either of the first time I heard it, where I was, what I was doing, etc., or I remember some kind of unique experience that happened to me while that song was playing (both good and bad experiences). Some songs remind me of girls I used to know, or parties I went to, stuff like that. Ah, the good (or at least, not so bad) old days.

18. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

The taste of beets makes me think of my grandparents' home in the country...but I don't recall ever eating beets there. :blink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.