Think I made a big mistake

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Ferret, Aug 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ferret

Ferret Well-Known Member

So to make a long story short. After years of depression and being unhappy with my life I got into a relationship which ultimately lasted for six months. When my ex broke up with me it triggered a lot of hate I had towards myself and I found it very difficult to cope. At that time I was about 5 months into a computer job which I felt was going nowhere.

Thinking that if I stayed in my current situation I would eventually hurt myself badly or accidentally take my own life. So I took an extended sick leave, eventually leaving that job for good and going back to school to be an Electrician. The tuition wasn't cheap. With a public community college the waiting list to enroll in that program was 3 years or more. Not wanting to wait that long I opted to train in a more expensive private institution, thinking that I could make the money back quickly, because at the time trades were booming here in Canada, especially in the oil wells in Alberta.

After I graduated, I was greeted with a rude awakening. I didn't get the job I wanted, despite endless resumes sent out. This was just after the recession hit, and people were getting laid off from their jobs. Oil companies were doing mass layoffs as well, which meant it was increasingly more difficult to get a job with them. Eventually I couldn't afford to stay in the city, so I had to move back with my parents. Three months followed, and by that time I was even more depressed and felt demeaned by the whole ordeal. With the help of a family friend I managed to get my first job as an Electrician, working for a small construction company. It didn't last for very long though, as I was expected to know the same as someone who had worked for them for a few years. There was no one there to teach me anything, and I had to rely on a fouth year apprentice to teach me something. After that, I couldn't find a job anywhere, despite an endless amount of resumes I sent out. I found myself jobless, with a fairly large loan (over $10K) that I wasn't quite sure how I was going to pay back. I started doing contract work upgrading computers in several banks in the region, which required a fair bit of travelling on my part. Eventually I applied for another computer job, which was a bit better than my previous one, and was hired. I've been in that job for almost a year now, but I keep thinking I made a big mistake, and spending all that money going back to school for something I wouldn't find a job in. I keep thinking about it so much, and also what experts say about depression, that I shouldn't make life-changing decisions while depressed, which I felt like I made in this case.

If it is indeed a mistake, then I don't think I could ever forgive myself, because I put myself through a lot with not much to show for it in the end.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Education is never a mistake hun you can use that education and take side jobs make money that way to help pay off your debt You learned a skill something to be proud of hun ok No way it was a mistake hugs

3. GreyCat

GreyCat Well-Known Member

I'm with Eclipse on that. You don't know what the future holds, that qualification will always stand to you. Theres no way being a qualified Electrician isn't going to make you some cash at some point!! And you have a job now, so things could be way worse! Education is never a mistake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.