Thinking About A Commune

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by edwny, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edwny

edwny CM Friend And Antiquities Friend

I am considering going to spend some time at a commune. I have been banging around since I got out of the hospital and my life seems to go nowhere. After looking for work for months, and getting only scam offers and the occasional day labour, I am thinking I don’t have much to lose. I lost almost everything from being hospitalized, and several of the few friends that remained after that have fallen away. I have considered going back in the hospital, but cannot afford it. I know that my problems would still be here when I return, but at least I will not owe anyone anything if I go to the commune.

My few remaining friends and family are worried because the commune is run by a religious group. They are afraid it is a cult, and that I will never come out. With the way my life has lost all of its former meaning, that is an acceptable risk for me. In the meantime, I will be able to work all the time and get my mind away from all that I have had to deal with. They cannot get anything material from me, because I have nothing left. In the end, it would beat suicide, living on the street, spending my life in the MHC system, or facing this isolation and purposelessness for the rest of my life. It would also keep me from being a burden on my family.

Has anyone ever done this to get their mind off things?
  2. Percarus

Percarus Account Closed

I have never lived in a commune before, but one thing I have done is attend a variety of different churches, ie: various different Christian sects, Hindu culture, Scientology, Islam, Sikhism and their temples despite being the only white guy there, and I have read widely about many religions and myths. A commune is an intentional community of people living together, sharing common interests, property, possessions, resources, and, in some communes, work and income - in this sense I definitely see rational reason as to why one would like to belong to one. It would be like being surrounded by close friends and family, something a lot of us don't even have. What would be ideal is that when and if you join a commune that you earnestly believe and adore its creeds and values. Being a charlattan would only lead to trouble further down the track. Even if it is not a permanent thing but a phase in your life you still have to adore and understand the hearts of fellow communers, a lot may be facing troubles similar to yours and may have tried seeking a similar escape from reality.

It seems you already analyzed the situation, ie: they cannot exploit you or get anything from you. I have never partaken in a commune but here in Australia the only commune I know is the Catholic priesthood. It may be a wise move to give it a trial for a couple of years, you can perceive it as an adventure that will lead to character building and self-development - I hope it works for you! :)
  3. edwny

edwny CM Friend And Antiquities Friend

Thank you so much for raising those concerns. The matter of my material risk is mostly presented to alleviate the fears of those with whom I have shared the
    idea. I do not know about their beliefs and creeds in great depth, but what they have shared with me so far is a fresh perspective from that of others whom have urged me to act against my core values. I am open to learning more about their beliefs and they have expressed a desire to share that with me. In the meantime, they have several programs with which they would value my skills, and devoting myself to them for the time am there would benefit us both. This is not the only such place in which I have looked, nor the only offer. It is the only one with which I would be willing to explore the opportunity to consider their faith.
  4. notloved

notloved Member

I'd love to be part of a commune but don't think they have that kind of thing in England. Does anyone know of any please?
  5. Wastingecho

Wastingecho Well-Known Member

6. VALIS

VALIS Well-Known Member

There are "communes" with no religious affiliations. These are run by people who want to make organic, sustainable food and let people stay there and contribute to the community by working to harvest and plant vegetables. The vegetables are sold elsewhere in order to keep the farm/community running. have always recommended to people on the brink of suicide that they go on a retreat of sorts where they have time to feel useful, close to the earth, attuned to life, and among people who aren't assholes.
    Don't have a link for you on that, I know these exist in many places in the United States and internationally. You shouldn't have to adopt a religion to appease some religious leader's power trip in order to be useful in an alternative community.
    Hope you find what you're looking for.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.