Thinking about canceling my therapy

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Xistence, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xistence

Xistence Well-Known Member

It's not doing me much good anyway. I'm in treatment for social anxiety right now and I've been lying about my suicidal thoughts for a few years. Went in about 4 years ago, but after a while I started pretending that I was getting better so my mom wouldn't know what was really going on. For a while I thought I was actually getting better, but I haven't made much progress and I'm losing my motivation to keep going. Too afraid to die and not enough willpower to try and get better so I think I'm just going to rot away until I get up the courage to go through with it.

Has therapy helped anyone else? I know it won't help me if I keep resisting, but I'm tired of trying.

2. Alarius

Alarius Member

Hey,

When I was a teen starting about 12-13 I was in therapy for a few years, and do think it helped. But everyone is different. Like I do not think it would help me at this point.

It depends on you, it made a difference back in the day though.

3. AsphyxiateOnMisery

AsphyxiateOnMisery Well-Known Member

I suffer from severe social anxiety myself. You know what the best treatment for SAD is, right? To gradually face your fears and take little steps to do things every day that you normally wouldn't. I know its a total nightmare to think that that's the only thing that can help, but there are always little things you can push yourself to do better. I'm not saying to push yourself too hard and take a public speaking course or anything...but like for instance, if you don't like ordering your own food at restaurants, try doing it next time you go. You know your limits, what you can handle and what you can't. Maybe make a list of those things and when you're out in public, try doing some of them. Therapy can be helpful to teach us certain skills and coping techniques, or maybe just to vent, but in the end to get rid of SAD, you have to do it the old fashioned way because a therapist can tell you there's nothing to be afraid of all day and it won't make any difference if your brain is still telling you "well from my experience, people will make fun of me, so I better not do this, this, and that". However, if you have many new experiences where you didn't get made fun of, you can slowly get better and reflect on those instead of the ones you had before. Also, think of how long it took for you to develop SAD...probably a good portion of your life, right? So recovery will take at least that long as well. If you're not seeing any improvement yet, that's normal. However, you might have improved in little ways that you don't even recognize. But what I'm trying to say is don't give up...keep going to therapy because I think you need a little push to help you get better. Ask your therapist to set goals with you that you have to accomplish by your next therapy session or something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.