Thinking about freelance work

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Shock, Jan 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shock

Shock Well-Known Member

Hi all,

One of the things I love about this forum is that you can just about raise a topic or ask a question about anything - and not get shot down. You will usually get good, well thought out and genuine advice. If people don't think what your saying is not a good idea they will tell you, but won't be overly negative or jerky about it. You rarely get trolled in this forum!

So, keeping in mind I am in the Coffee House, I wanted to get peoples advice on this:

I am a web designer by trade and currently work for a firm. I got a promotion a year ago that took me out of a hands on role into a management role. I dont hate it but by god I feel out of my depth sometimes. I think it is a big contributor to my depression. So I was thinking about going freelance in web design and was wanting peoples advice on this.

Now I know that there wont be many freelance web designers reading this but, hey, I thought I may as well open it up to anyone else who has gone freelance in any industry. I am aware its not going to be a walk in the park but I would appreciate any advice anyone could offer me ie: financial organisation, self promotion, whether industry events are worth it, a good place to get jobs, etc.

Thanks again all!

2. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

hi Shock.

I work part time in freelance illustration. Have done so since I graduated from uni back in '07. Freelancing and the enjoyment/success thereof depends quite a bit on personality. If you are comfortable running the business end yourself and don't mind that freelancing involves constant application and negotiation for work, then it's certainly a viable way to go. The only advice I can offer on this is to not underestimate how stressful those parts of it can be. For myself, I find it to be stressful in the extreme, mostly because it asks me to function in areas of life that are my weakest. eg, socialization, self promotion, competition, interpreting other people's needs even if they are not adequately descriptive of what they really want.

If I was personally in your position -keeping in mind this isn't advice so much as just a hypothetical from my perspective with my problems-I would be inclined to see about asking to be demoted back to the original hands-on job, or look for a similar position at a different firm, first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.