Thinking I drink too much

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Niceguyjesse, Jul 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Niceguyjesse

Niceguyjesse New Member

I drink a pint to two pints of vodka a day, I'm having trouble stopping and it doesn't even help my depression anymore. I don't even get drunk anymore I just end up falling asleep, waking up and repeating the process.

2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

You are drinking too much and it is not now (nor ever did it) help your depression. It may cause numbness temporarily but it is a depressive - it does not help. You are still getting drunk - more than before in fact. Contrary to popular opinion tolerance does not increase with drinking - it decreases over time because the liver is less able to process the alcohol. You are used to the feeling so it no longer seems strange to you so you do not think you are drunk - everybody else does. Having had an unfortunate amount of experience with heavy drinkers I can guarantee anybody that knows you knows and they do not say anything because they do not want the fight or to "get involved".

As you recognize a problem please take steps to correct it - if need help to do so get it. It is not "self medicating" as people like to say - it is purely and simply avoidance of dealing with issues and then issues get worse. There is no medicinal or medicating value to putting yourself in a state that makes poor decisions and an impaired thought process to work on depression or other problems.

3. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Yeah, drinking doesn't really help...it just numbs you and it's a great distraction. It can end up making you even more depressed than you were before you started, and have lots of health problems to boot. But it's not easy to quit, I know because I struggle with that on a daily basis. But I hope that you will be able to find a way to break out of this cycle.

4. ub3

ub3 Banned Member

The 1st step in solving a problem is admmitting you have one WELL DONE for that...If your anything like me Alcohol was my medicine initially filling that void id felt my whole life and at the end just made the void bigger...Sounds like your consuming a dangerous amount and i suggest you seek professional advise if you want to stop and start living again...There is a wealth of online support and also AA meetings have saved millions from the grips of death and pitifull incomprehensible demoralisation... Is its costing you more than money? If so seek help asap If you take one step towards recovery... Recovery will take 3 towards you....Please feel free to send me a message and i will point you in the right direction... You are not alone Peace

5. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

Well done for recognizing that there could be an issue.

There are steps - be it AA/rehab etc - that can be taken and the offers of support are there.

As NYJmpMaster said, it is a depressant - all the excessive drinking does is it masks the issues you have without solving them, and now you are in a position of having the alcohol addiction added to those issues.

Hope you've managed to find some support to start recovery.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.