Thinking I need to speak with someone...

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by voices_inmy_head, Jun 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. voices_inmy_head

    voices_inmy_head Well-Known Member

    It's gotten to the stage where talking to my friends isn't enough anymore, mostly because they either have there own problems or they are a problem! But I have no idea how to go about talking to a professional, how to find one, are they right for me.

    The one time I tried before it was a disaster and made me a lot worse for a short while.

    Any advise?

    Oh and I'm UK based


  2. Crue-K

    Crue-K Well-Known Member

    Hi, I ring helplines when I want to get something off my chest and a unable to tell anyone in person. I regularly see a shrink and a CPN and I have only ever told them about 60% of what's on my mind. My regular helpline is 'Breathing space scotland'. I find it easier as I dont feel as embarrassed or stigmatised as I would if I told my shrink or family.

    Good luck.
  3. starchild

    starchild Well-Known Member

    Hi. I would say the Samaritans are good for listening to what you have to say, which can be good to vent any frustrations and worries. The only problem with them is that they cannot offer a personal opinion on your situation, that is, they can't really give you advice as they are really only focused with listening.

    You could try seeing if you can speak to a Psychiatrist through the NHS, which is what I did a couple of years ago. I'm not sure how it works now, but it's certainly worth a try.
  4. Pensive

    Pensive Well-Known Member

    re: Psychiatrist through the NHS

    I think you get put on a waiting queue for a while, as well as filling out forms and other such stuff attending meetings etd. Problem is for me I was left at the stage of "we would take you for meetings" but it would be one day off every week which my work would not approve much, so in the end it was left to "when my placements done we'll talk".
  5. voices_inmy_head

    voices_inmy_head Well-Known Member

    I don't think this is going to work :( I hate talking on the phone and need opinions and can't wait ages for someone to become availble!
  6. ~Claire

    ~Claire Well-Known Member

    I hate talking on the phone too, I have emailed the samaritans a few times & they have always been nice. They reply within 24 hours, which is good I guess, unless you are a bit like me & expect instant responses.

    What about asking your GP if they have a community mental health team attached to the practice? The waiting list for them is nowhere near as long as it would be for psychiatry/psychology. CPN's are usually really flexible too, even on the days I don't want to talk to them or see them they are still there.

    Keep posting here too & we will do all we can o support you.

  7. voices_inmy_head

    voices_inmy_head Well-Known Member

    I'm so all over the place, on day or even one hour I am so happy and laughing at nothing and then i feel so sad, I don't want to speak, don't want to eat, I hate these up and downs
  8. Stranger1

    Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

    Have you been in the hospital and have you been diagnost? Are you on any meds? If you are hearing things you need to see a doc as soon as possible. they can help you.It is an illness that you can't get rid of on your own.
    You have our support and advice, everyone here are very compassionit. They will listen to you so don't be afraid to talk openly. We don't know who you are so you can talk, or even vent some of your anger or your bad thoughts. I hope you find the help you need!!:chopper:!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.