Thinking of getting into welding

After dropping out of university I got a terrible minimum wage job which I quit two months into it. I then had a work-from-home digital marketing internship for four months which I did not enjoy. Thinking I had nothing left to try I just kind of gave up on life. I barely got out of bed and would spend the days watching countless hours of YouTube. Luckily I had understanding parents and I didn't end up homeless.

My mom told me to look for classes to take so I can withdraw the last of my money from my education fund. She suggested something like hair cutting courses or art or something that would help me set a routine and prepare me to go back to work. I looked at the list of programs from some local colleges and stumbled upon welding.

It seems like a good profession to get into. It requires a lot of skill though and I'm not sure I'd be able to pick it up fast enough. Also, I wouldn't want my lack of skill to be attributed to the fact I'm a woman. I've been looking at pretty TIG welds on Instagram and I think being able to do something like that would give me direction and purpose in life.

Should I go for it? I guess I don't have much choice as I don't want to lay in bed for much longer thinking of death.

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter
I concur with the above, if it is something you find is right for you you can do well at something you like. One thing I have noticed with the pandemic is how there is often more work for trade type skills such as welding for people who can fix and repair what is broken since many are skeptical about buy newer things now.

Waves

After dropping out of university I got a terrible minimum wage job which I quit two months into it. I then had a work-from-home digital marketing internship for four months which I did not enjoy. Thinking I had nothing left to try I just kind of gave up on life. I barely got out of bed and would spend the days watching countless hours of YouTube. Luckily I had understanding parents and I didn't end up homeless.

My mom told me to look for classes to take so I can withdraw the last of my money from my education fund. She suggested something like hair cutting courses or art or something that would help me set a routine and prepare me to go back to work. I looked at the list of programs from some local colleges and stumbled upon welding.

It seems like a good profession to get into. It requires a lot of skill though and I'm not sure I'd be able to pick it up fast enough. Also, I wouldn't want my lack of skill to be attributed to the fact I'm a woman. I've been looking at pretty TIG welds on Instagram and I think being able to do something like that would give me direction and purpose in life.

Should I go for it? I guess I don't have much choice as I don't want to lay in bed for much longer thinking of death.
Does it get you out of bed? Give you hope? Make you make plans for future ? If yes then run don’t walk to get trained. Being a woman? Could be a marketing tool.

Waves

BTW

Love your mom

alixer

Anger turned outward is workout fuel.
SF Supporter
If it’s something you’d enjoy go for it. You’ll get better in time.

Paisley

SF Artist
SF Supporter
Welding is an apprenticeship program where I live, which is cool because it can let you earn money while you're studying. The trades are highly likely to get you related work after you graduate.

I think you made a great decision!

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00