Thirteen Reasons Why

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Serendipitous, Oct 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Serendipitous

Serendipitous Member

Maybe you've read this book or maybe you haven't. But it stays one of my favourites even after a year when I first picked it up.

It's the story of this boy named Clay and he gets home one day to find a package of tapes. They were made by the girl he loved who killed herself two weeks earlier. There are 13 reasons why she died. He's one of them.

It's this thought that has me totally captured. Tapes. Notes. She wanted them to know why she died and make them suffer for it. Every event is linked and any one of them could have stopped it: but they didn't. That's what she wanted them to know. And at the end it changes Clay's life. He tries to help another girl, remembering that he didn't reach out to Hannah when she needed it.

My question is about notes. Would you do something similar? If there were a lot of people who caused you pain would you want them to know it or would your death be enough? I like the idea of tapes being passed on and as Hannah said the thirteenth person 'could take them straight to hell.' I'd take this route. One note wouldn't be enough to explain. I'd like my voice in their ear just to make it worse. The last time they'll ever hear me speak.

Pfft, that's kind of morbid even for here.
  2. dontwannabeme

dontwannabeme Well-Known Member

ye that sounds nice.
    Im doing it by a video tape :)
  3. anasgirlx

anasgirlx Well-Known Member

i read this book and it gave me the idea of doing the tapes. im doing it too :)
  4. down-and-maybeout

down-and-maybeout Well-Known Member

there are certainly people in this world who have contributed towards how close i feel right now to giving up, people who have had the opportunity to help me, people who were meant to be "close" to me and turned their backs - yes for sure, if i ever do reach the point of no return, i want to make sure that those people feel guilty for the rest of their lives for what they have contributed to

but... given the sorts of people they are, i doubt they would give a shit anyway - some of them may even see it as their final conquest over me
  5. Daijou

Daijou Well-Known Member

I had somewhat a similar idea a month ago when I was going to end my life. I decided upon writing everyone that ever affected my life in any way a note of their own. Whether it was saying goodbye, letting them know it wasn't their fault, or telling them how much they hurt me, I didn't want to leave them with just the awkward silence of my death. Not saying anything would probably be the worst thing I could do, because I'm sure so many people would think they were to blame. It was hard writing them all because I couldn't even begin to say all the things I wanted to though. I still think of revising them and making sure they're perfect and say everything all the time.
  6. Akita

Akita Well-Known Member

No... I have never seen myself as a person... Yet alone one that needs to be remembered...
  7. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

My sister bought this about a year ago. I read it. It wasn't bad, but didn't strike me as amazing. I'm not sure why, but nothing in it really resonated with me.
  8. Serendipitous

Serendipitous Member

It was Hannah herself which appealed to me. Maybe it's cause at the time I was this seriously insecure teenage girl suffering similar things she was? I dunno. Something about her being in that class and they're talking about suicide, judging her for not asking for help. That was the bit that did it for me.
  9. StarryNightSky

StarryNightSky Well-Known Member

Maybe, but not for revenge.
  10. danicarr

danicarr Member

I can honestly say no, if I don't get myself incontrol and end up doing the deed, I'd want to do so in the least harmful way possible. I'm not ignorant to the fact that there are people how love me, and eventhough I want to die, I couldn't hurt them. Infact any note I'd leave would probably be computer writen, without finger prints ect, only my initials inscribed at the end. After all why would I want to leave myself behind?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.