This can't be happening

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Jewel, Apr 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jewel

Jewel Well-Known Member

I don't know what's wrong with me..
    I don't have a eating disorder, I think..

But since today I throw up.. Food makes me sick..
    And i'm not ill, don't have fever, and my stummick is okay

Can it be a eating disorder?
    Perhaps it's something unconsciously?

I don't really know..

2. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

There are many things that can upset your tummy.

Did you make yourself sick on purpose? Even if you did, you don't instantly get an eating disorder, the behaviour has to be long and ongoing.

Things that can upset the stomach are things like depression, stress, tiredness. None of which show a fever or anything. But it could be food poisoning, mildly, or maybe a food intolerance, mayhbe the way you ate it, ie if you ate quickly.

There could be many reasons for it.

Just because you were sick and you don't know why, don't assume it's an eating disorder. There's no reason why it would be (from what you have said anyway).

3. Jewel

Jewel Well-Known Member

Maybe you're right..

I felt myself all at once sick, And I felt dizzy, And I put my finger in my throat And everything came out.. But I did that because I wanna feel better..

And I don't wanna lie, when I was trowing up, I thought of a girl I know who has Anorexia, and she thin, and I wanna be that too..

4. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Purgin won't make you thin, it will make you very ill. There are a HUGE amount of health problems associated with purging, and most often people who purge are of healthy weight.

If you did that to make yourself feel better that is not an eating disorder. David Beckham has done it, my mum has done it. Many people know that if you feel sick and can be sick, you feel better. That is not an eating disorder.

If you want to lose weight, the best thing to do is to eat healthily, three balanced meals a day, and to get moderate exercise. That's the best way to become a healthy weight.

5. Jewel

Jewel Well-Known Member

Yeahh, but exercise is something I can't do very long.. Because it's get boring and then I stop with it..
    I dont have allot of selfdisipline..

Maybe it sounds stupid.. But if I normally eat, and trowh up for 1 month, and then stop.. ?
    Then i'm thinner..

6. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

No. purging won't make you thin. It will make you ill.

Let me tell you some things. (from http://www.recoveryourlife.com/Eating_Disorders/10826.aspx )

'In alphabetical order for ease of reading...

Damage to the body can be surprisingly quick if the sufferer is making themselves vomit. Of course, the more frequent the purging, the greater the risk, but there is a chance of causing serious injury even from only occasional vomiting. The main dangers from self-induced vomiting include electrolyte imbalances in the body, gastric rupture following a binge, peptic ulcers, tooth decay, rupture of the oesophagus following purging, constipation and irregular bowel movements.

Amenorrhea - Loss of menstrual cycle (due to lack of the hormone oestrogen)

Anemia/iron deficiency - This makes the oxygen transporting units within the blood useless, and can lead to fatigue, shortness of breath, increased infections, and heart palpitations

Arthritis - This can be caused by hormonal imbalances and vitamin deficiencies

Bad Circulation, Slowed or Irregular Heartbeat, Arrhythmias, Angina, Heart Attack - There are many factors associated with having an eating disorder that can lead to heart problems or a heart attack. Sudden cardiac arrest can cause permanent damage to the heart, or instant death. Electrolyte imbalances (especially potassium deficiency), dehydration, malnutrition, low blood pressure, abnormally slow heart rate, electrolyte imbalances, and hormonal imbalances can all cause serious problems with the heart, high blood pressure, accumulation of fat deposits around the heart muscle, high cholesterol, decreased exercise due to lack of mobility, diabetes and hormonal imbalances.

Bloating

Callused or bruised fingers and knuckles - This can be caused by repeated use of fingers to induce vomiting.

Cancer - Bulimics can develop cancer of the throat and voice box (larynx) due to acid reflux disorders.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - This is continuous and crippling fatigue related to a weakened immune system.

Constipation

Cramps>

DEATH: This may be caused by any of the following, either alone or as a combination: heart attack or heart failure; lung collapse; internal bleeding, stroke, kidney failure, liver failure; pancreatitis, gastric rupture, perforated ulcer.

Dehydration This is caused by the depletion or lack of intake of fluids in the body, or by restriction of carbohydrates and fat. Restriction/starvation, vomiting and laxative abuse are the primary causes in sufferers of eating disorders. Symptoms include dizziness, weakness, or darkening of urine. It can lead to kidney failure, heart failure, seizures, brain damage and death. The healthy functioning of cells and tissues is dependent upon a certain level of water content in the body. Also, salt and other minerals need to be kept within a narrow range. In a person who has become dehydrated, it is possible that they are suffering from a depletion in salt as well as water. Long-term dehydration can ultimately lead to kidney failure. Amongst bulimics, dehydration usually occurs because the stomach is being emptied of its gastric fluids.

Dental Problems: Decalcification of Teeth, Erosion of Tooth Enamel, Severe Decay, Gum Disease - These will be caused by stomach acids and enzymes (from vomiting) which erode the enamel on the teeth. They can also be caused by vitamin D and calcium deficiencies, and hormonal imbalance.

Depression - Mood swings and depression will all be caused by physiological factors such as electrolyte imbalances, hormone and vitamin deficiencies, malnutrition and dehydration. Living with the eating disorder behaviors themselves will also cause depression. Depression can also lead the sufferer back into the cycle of the eating disorder (or may have initially been the problem before the onset of the ED).

Diabetes - High blood sugar occurs as a result of low production of insulin. This can be caused by hormonal imbalances, hyperglycemia, or chronic pancreatitis.

Diarrhoea

Digestive Difficulties - A deficiency in digestive enzymes will lead to the body having an inability to properly digest food and absorb nutrients. This can lead to malnutrition and electrolyte imbalances. Diseases that may be triggered by this are Celiac Disease (gluten sensitivity), and Crohn's Disease

Disruptions in Blood Sugar Levels - Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) can indicate problems with the liver or kidneys and can lead to neurological and mental deterioration. Elevated blood sugar levels (hyperglycemia) can lead to diabetes, liver and kidney shut down, circulatory and immune system problems.

Dry Skin and Hair, Brittle Hair and Nails, Hair Loss - This is caused by vitamin and mineral deficiencies, malnutrition and dehydration.

Easily Bruising Skin - Vitamin deficiencies (which decrease the body's ability to heal itself), low blood pressure, a low platelet count and/or extreme weight loss will all lead to easily bruised skin that can take a long time to heal.

Edema - This is swelling of the soft tissues as a result of excess water accumulation. It is most common in the abdominal area of Bulimics and can be caused by laxative and diuretic

Electrolyte Imbalances - Electrolytes are essential to the production of the body's "natural electricity" that ensures healthy teeth, joints and bones, nerve and muscle impulses, kidneys and heart, blood sugar levels and the delivery of oxygen to the cells.

Esophageal Reflux /Acid Reflux Disorders - When partially digested items in the stomach (which are mixed with acid and enzymes) regurgitate back into the esophagus, this can lead to damage to the esophagus, larynx and lungs and increases the chances of developing cancer of the esophagus and voice box. Reflux can sometimes become so severe that food cannot be kept down at all and medical attention should be sought immediately.

Gastric Rupture - This is spontaneous stomach erosion, perforation or rupture.

Gastrointestinal bleeding into the digestive tract.

Heart failure The heart muscle can become thin and flabby from nutritional deficiency. A lack of calories and protein can have a negative effect on the heart, and body chemicals may become so imbalanced that heart failure occurs.

Hypertension (high blood pressure) - This can cause blood vessel changes in the back of the eye (creating vision impairment); abnormal thickening of the heart; kidney failure; and brain damage.

Hyperactivity - Manic thoughts of not being able to sit still.

Hyponatremia - (related to "water-loading") Drinking too much water (more than eight glasses in less than 12 hours) can cause hyponatremia (not enough sodium in the blood), especially in someone already malnourished or dehydrated. Hyponatremia can cause fluid in the lungs, the brain to swell, nausea, vomiting, confusion and even death.

Hypotension (low blood pressure) This is caused by lowered body temperature, malnutrition and dehydration. It can cause irregular heartbeat & shock.

Incontinence

Infertility (the inability to have children) - This is caused by loss of the menstrual cycle and by hormonal imbalances.

Inflammation & rupture/tearing of the esophagus - Stomach acid irritates the esophagus, which can cause inflammation and raw areas, sometimes making swallowing painful. Of greater concern is a rupture of the esophagus, because this can be fatal. It is caused by repeated vomiting and the person will have bright red blood in their vomit. Although a tear often heals itself after a few days, this is NOT ALWAYS THE CASE AND YOU SHOULD ALWAYS CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR IF YOU ARE VOMITING BLOOD.

Irregular or abnormally slow heart rate - Purging can lead to potassium depletion, which in turn can cause problems with the heart. Equally, starving oneself can also lead to an irregular or slow heart rate, which can mean that the heart muscle is undergoing changes. This is likely to lead to low blood pressure. The lower blood pressure and heart rate drop, the greater the risk of heart failure.

Insomnia - Having problems falling and/or staying asleep.

Ketoacidosis - High levels of acids (known as ketones) build up in the blood and are caused by the body burning fat (instead of sugar and carbohydrates) to get energy. This can be a result of starvation, excessive purging & dehydration, and can lead to coma and death.

Kidney Infection and Failure - Your kidneys "clean" the poisons from your body, regulate acid concentration and maintain water balance. Vitamin deficiencies, dehydration, infection and low blood pressure increase the risks associated with kidney infection thus making permanent kidney damage and kidney failure more likely.

Lanugo (soft downy hair on face, back and arms) - This is caused by a protective reflex mechanism built into the body to help keep a person warm during periods of starvation and malnutrition.

Liver Failure - The liver aids in removing waste from cells, and with digestion. Fasting and taking acetaminophen (a drug found in over-the-counter painkillers) increases the risks of liver damage and failure. Loss of menstruation and dehydration (putting women at risk for too much iron in their system), and chronic heart failure can also lead to liver damage or failure.

Lowered body temperature - This is caused by the loss of a healthy insulating layer of fat and by lowered blood pressure.

Malnutrition This is caused by undereating or overeating. The word malnutrition indicates a deficiency for energy, protein and micronutrients (e.g. vitamin A, iodine and iron), either singularly or in combination. It can cause severe health risks including (but not limited to) respiratory infections, kidney failure, blindness, heart attack and death.

Muscle and Cartilage Deterioration - This is the wasting away of muscle due to the body starting to use its own tissue & muscle to provide the energy it needs.

Orthostatic Hypotension - This is a sudden drop in blood pressure experienced upon sitting up or standing. Symptoms include dizziness, blurred vision, passing out, a feeling of the heart "pounding" and headaches.

Osteoporosis - Thinning of the bones is due to lack of calcium, and leaves them susceptible to fracture.

Pancreatitis - This occurs when the digestive enzymes attack the pancreas. It can be caused by repeated stomach trauma (such as with vomiting), or the excessive use of laxatives or diet pills.

Paralysis (Temporary) - This is caused by low levels of potassium, and/or by the degeneration of nerve cells in the spinal cord or in the brain which have been deprived of essential nutrients. Left untreated, periods of paralysis may happen more frequently and more severely, lead to permanent muscle weakness, and even result in death.

Peptic ulcers - A peptic ulcer refers to an area of the stomach, or the tube that leads away from the stomach, which becomes eroded by stomach acid. Peptic ulcers can be serious and need immediate attention if you are vomiting blood or passing digested blood in your stools.

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome - Females with an eating disorder are at an increased risk for developing this syndrome.

Seizures - The increased risk of seizures in bulimics is caused by dehydration.

Swelling - This can occur in the face and cheeks following self-induced vomiting. '

Do you want that?

7. Jewel

Jewel Well-Known Member

Omg! No I won't want that! But not eating goodies is so really focked up hard..

8. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

The key is to allow yourself anything, but in moderation. Healthy eating means a balanced diet, which can mean a bit of anything you like. Maybe allow yourself a treat everyday. That might give you incentive.

And I'm glad you gave that reaction, that was the reaction I was hoping for :)

9. Jewel

Jewel Well-Known Member

Thank you for helping.. I see it's not good to do things like that..

But a treat everyday.. No that goes to far!

If i'm allowing myself for a treat, it most be something healthy and good.. Something that tasted good :p

10. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

It's no problem.

Maybe sure you don't deprive yourself because that will make it harder to stick to.

Also, with the exercise, try and vary what you do. biking, running, skipping, weights, cleaning, anything like that can make you fitter and be good for you.

Take care of yourself

11. Jewel

Jewel Well-Known Member

Okaayy, I will work on it ;)

But ehh, whats skipping?

And I think I found a treat.. rice waffles! They are soooooo good *jummm*

12. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

13. Jewel

Jewel Well-Known Member

aaahh, a jumprope!! Now I know ;)

14. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

aaaaaaaaaah, THAT's what you call it! good good :D

15. UNKNOWN_666s

UNKNOWN_666s New Member

Well maybe you do
    im not sure how eating diorders come if the y can jsut come like that
    but im nto sure if i have one either.
    but soemtimes food can make me sick and i think if u focus too much on that then you can get a eating disorder cuz u wont wwanna eat it and
    yah i duno..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.