This forum is

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by dlimonene, May 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dlimonene

dlimonene New Member

Let me start by saying that I am a devout Catholic. I was baptized in New York as a baby and confirmed as an adult in the Catholic Dioceses of Harrisburg Pennsylvania. In my religion it is ok to commit suicide. Let me repeat,"In the Catholic faith it is now allowed that those who commit suicide can have a Catholic funeral." My question to all non-Catholics is why? Why is committing suicide a bad thing? When does a person not want to commit suicide because of the influence of others? And doesn't every spirit have the right to judge based on their own valuations wether or not they want to suffer life among other people? Also wether or not the spirit wants to suffer creations of itself and resistance to God and to the SuperEgo as described by Frued in his model of psychoanalysis? Are these not pertinent questions? Are you not valid enough to consider these and decide to end your life?

2. aki

aki Well-Known Member

Re: This forum is Gay

thanks for informing us :blink:

3. mdmefontaine

mdmefontaine Antiquities Friend

....um....won't question your ''title''. . . . but i guess you are giving s.f. a compliment? because some of my dearest and lovliest friends, are gay.

just sayin

i am raised in the Christian faith, protestant. i believe in a woman's right to a safe and legal abortion, AND i believe in an adult human being having the right to choose whether to live or die.

this forum IS pro-life.

my justification of those last two statements, is simple. even when i want to die, i do not want others to die. i want to help them in their time of suffering. and i want them to stay alive.

but. although i would stay with anyone, and try to give them love, and help them see that life is worth living...... if they ultimately decided to go, i believe they deserve the dignity of that decision.

but. what is better? to send flowers to a funeral?

or to give a shoulder, a heart and an ear, to someone in pain, but still alive?

i am not interested in funeral flowers. and i can sincerely say, my pm box is open to anyone who wants to talk, including you. xxx

4. Belladonna

Belladonna Well-Known Member

As an atheist, I don't need some old guy's decision about the morality of suicide to see that committing suicide affects other people. I know that is a disrespectful way of describing the Pope and Catholic dogma, but it is the way I see the world--I'm more pragmatic than full of faith, and I say the same of Hindu priests. To me, the pope is just a person and he hasn't given me any reason to believe that he has any wisdom when it comes to suicide than I do. There are people on this site, however, that I value what they think because they know what they are talking about. I think that anyone that is seriously thinking about suicide is automatically going to think about how their death, which isn't just premature, but self-inflicted, will affect the people that the suicidal person loves. There is very little beauty and love in my life so people like my brother, parents, and friends are all the more valuable to me.

As far as my right, and everyone's right, to end their life...Is this what you are asking in your last paragraph? I do think it is a basic right that should not be judged but the thing is, just because I don't judge a person for committing suicide as bad, weak, or whatever, it doesn't change the fact that my suicide would still hurt the ones I Iove. Wanting an end to your misery doesn't make you love or value people any less. It is, of course, my loved ones influencing me, but it is because I allow them to influence me and I'm glad for that. I think it is important to consider other people's feelings, it makes me human.

5. shades

shades Staff Alumni

First of all, what exactly do you mean by titling your thread "This forum is Gay"? Are you implying that there is something wrong with that? If so, you should know that there are many gay individuals at this site who would find that offensive, although most are secure enough in their sexuality to perhaps laugh it off.

Second, you state that suicide is now allowable in your religion, because you will receive a funeral! I doubt that if you spoke with your fellow parishoners about this they'd say "Oh yeah, suicide?...fine with me!"

Then you throw poor Freud, who was a Jew, into the mix and you're all over the place.

Also, if you've been around the site for just a few hours (which I would assume, since you've had enough time to make the "gay" evaluation) you would see that there is another thread dealing with your very question as to
    whether suicide is justified in some instances.

There are many factors that go into a discussion about your questions as to self-determination. I'm usually quite friendly to just about anyone, but your approach needs some work in my estimation.

I'm not trying to be clever or funny, but to come to a site like this with the kind of attitude you display, doesn't warrant a serious response.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2009
  6. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

It is not "o.k." to commit suicide in the Catholic Church and I don't know where you got that information. A person who commits suicide is allowed to have a Catholoic funeral because through the advent of psychology, the Church has taken the position that one must be mentally ill and not in one's "right mind" to resort to suicide and is therefore incapable of committing a mortal sin, since one of the conditions for mortal sin is full consent of the will, which requires one to be "sane". That in NO WAY means that suicide is acceptable according to the Church and I think that your post is extremely misleading and VERY irresponsible to say the least because unike a suicide victim, YOU are in full control of your actions and seem to be encouraging people to make the choice to kill themselves. Shame on you.

7. Ben121

Ben121 Active Member

Why I would agree that every person has a right to end there life I do think its one of the most selfish things you could do.

You leave behind a mess. Every time its you B-day the ppl that loved you well hurt extra that day. Every time its the date of your death or there b-day. Every day and extra on special days the ppl you left behind well hurt.

I can not believe that if there is a god he would let you burn in hell for all aternity cos you was hurting so much you killed your self. But it dose not change the fact that by doing something like that you course pain on to other ppl.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2009
  8. BioHomocide

BioHomocide Well-Known Member

Is saying something is Gay like saying something is stupid?

I mean for a catholic you have no respect for others.
    As a gay person........ "Wow he's just another Catholic!"

9. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

This forum is gay????? Do you mean gay in a happy way, or a lame way or it's just full of queers. Anyhow, the questionable title aside, I cannot understand why in the 21st century, people still take heed of ideals of their chosen organised religion. Catholicism is arguably a severly antiquated religion second only to Islam. Who really gives a fuck if your church allows you to top yourself and then agree to you having a funeral, you're fucking dead so why does it matter. You can't lead your life according to the gospel of some entity called God. Get a life and follow your own insticts, make your own choices and do what YOU want.

Man is born in bondage
    We must ask, bondage to what?
    The answer? To his own nature.

How can man overcome his bondage?
    By mastering himself.

10. Belladonna

Belladonna Well-Known Member

That is a great quote, where is it from?

11. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Erm :blink: I'm a catholic and yes you can now get buried by the church should you take your own life but this was not given as a "permission to end it all" !
    The church now sees suicide as what it is..a time of such misery that the person is not seen as in their right mind at the time of death.
    Any decent parish priest would move heaven and earth to stop you doing it, as should we as, hopefully, decent and caring people.
    Many people commit suicide at a time of seeing no other way out.
    I am not talking about people in unbearable mental anguish such as schizophrenia or people who are suffering from an agonizing fatal illness; no one would question the taking of a life that has reached the point of no return.
    But there are those who life has thrown an event, loss etc. at ..who at the time think suicide is the only way to end the pain or fear that has become their life, yet things change, perhaps we just need to remind people that things can change and improve and be there in their darkest hour.
    Just a thought.

12. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Why would you come to this forum?

13. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

and why do we need to know the catholic church has given us an OK to be buried if we end it?
    I somehow doubt that is of big concern to anyone here if they are at life's end. well that is of my opinion anyway.
    either way, this is a pro-life forum and we are not in the norm of persuading members to kill themselves in any way shape or form.

also... the CHURCH okay'd it...what has "god" got to say about it i wonder.....

14. jane doe

jane doe Well-Known Member

i wonder two things.
    1 what happened to the OP that never replied
    and
    2 may be he took "gay" as in cheerfull??(sarcastic) lol

15. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

you will find that many people register and post but never come back. this was probably a troll, or someone who just wanted their opinion to be heard in order to do some harm(maybe) just my thoughts on the matter.

16. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

:trolls:

17. dlimonene

dlimonene New Member

I am impressed by the quality of replies and intelligent posts! This proves that you should all go on living because you're valuable and smart. Let me first address the title,"This forum is Gay." As you may have noticed I capitalized the Gay and do respect each connotation given to the word. It was intended to have a dual meaning. As I suffered the humiliation of a real homosexual experience early on in life and thought that I was a Homosexual as a result(at five years old!) I do not consider what I experienced to be abuse. It was with a person the same age and while I was coerced into participating, I should have been able to deal with it in a different way than retreating into my mind. Let me not shift the focus away from suicide for a moment though. During the winter of 2007 I was in a deep depression after prolonged drug abuse. I went to psychotherapy. BAD DECISION. He said,"we can start wherever you want." He was a terrible therapist. I said "ok I know where I want to start" and started getting self pitying and crying for the first time in ten years or so and began to describe my most innermost secret to this total stranger at the county mental center. Three months later I began to become more sociable and outgoing, then ran out of the benzos and lexapro and went through "decompensation" where your world perception begins to melt around you. At this point I was working at a local Mcdonalds where a kid who recognized my condition asked,"hey, do you want to hang out sometime?" Turned out he was gay and at my house he kinda sorta took advantage of me, why do I say this and not that I participated in a homosexual act, because, I was 302ed the next day and committed to a psychiatric ward. I was "acting weird" to quote my parents, so they took me to a "hospital" where I was transferred to another hospital and suffered a HELLISHLY intense experience laden heavily with delusions and belief that all those around me were talking to their dead relatives or people from past relationships and not me. You could say I gained a better understanding of how interpersonal relationships work. Anyway I suffered and suffered and DID NOT talk at all through the experience as if my toungue was cut out of my mouth. I was the first to escape from that mental hospital and when they found me they said, "we're going to name the new wing after you." I was strapped down to a bed and injected with the haldol, ativan combo until I passed out. Then the psychiatrist came in to question me when I was in a half awake half asleep state. This happened again when I attempted to escape another time, i was strapped down, injected, yada yada. I was always a very impressionable young boy and I was able to internalize experiences at a young age, such as my experience with my friend. That resurfaced through psychotherapy and was reexperienced some fifteen years later. How does that get manifested? It is incredible and also Tragic. Tragic because..........

18. shades

shades Staff Alumni

I still don't understand the use of the word 'gay in your title'. That aside, should you wish to continue to post I'd be happy to respond. Many men (and I've read plenty about this subject..and experienced it) have had a sexual encounter with another male at a young age and still lead completely heterosexual lives. I believe it is common...tough to say because most won't admit to it.

But you should continue with the meds that were working and with therapy.

I'm going to wait to here from you via private message or another post before responding further. It has to do with the difference in tone between your two posts and I'll explain if you wish.

19. Blue bell

Blue bell Active Member

Hi, i was brought up a strong catholic, not that i class myself as one now. I also was part of a catholic community for 8 years so i have studied Catholicism on a broad basis.

To commit suicide was at one time a crime. That is why is was called "commit". because it was said that people were commiting a crime!!!

That is how suicide got the name commit..... All trained samaritains are now trained not to use the word commit,, this is bacause it is not classed as a crime to take your life anymore. so not offence it commited... ie the word commit...

so now the law has changed and it is no longer a crime to take your life... so has the catholic faith... and anyone who takes their life can now have a catholic funeral...

i do hope i have xplained myself ok here,

but in short... "commit means crime... and now all people are ecouraged not to use the words commit... and replace them with death by suicide or taking their own life... etc...

to commit suicide is not longer a crime.... but it once was.

20. dlimonene

dlimonene New Member

I believe that in therapy, I created a monster that is very hard to deal with, and unneccessary....yes, I have my mental problems and am on medications, but this happened after I went to therapy. I guess I have to accept that I am a low functioning human being, I just feel that therapy confused the matter further. I am not low functioning academically , but socially is where I lack. I view every interaction in a suspicious and confused way where years ago in school I was a very social kid. I used to be the funny and rebellious kid in school. But now I am on these meds that take away my personality. I am scared because I am gaining certain autistic traits, such as, avoiding eye contact during conversation. But anyway, What was the difference between my first and second posts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.