this is not going to work

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by noo noo, Aug 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noo noo

noo noo Active Member

Ok so I went to the doctors for help and they gave me some anti depressants. They say it can take over two weeks before they even begin to start working. I can't hold on that long, need something to work now. Not got the strength to keep going like this. Would just be easier to end it all, can't live like this another day

2. Samara

Samara Account Closed

Hello...

Do you have anybody that you can see (therapist, counsellor, psychologist...group therapy... etc etc etc...shrink?) in the meantime to fill the gap of those days, someone who can help give you a short term sort of go-to in the meantime? If not, is there a hospital offering psychiatric services where you are? A doctors referral may be able to get you in there, though there may be a possible wait time for getting in that way.

In the meantime, is there maybe someone who is with you, or someone you can stay with? I am just trying to see if there is a person, somewhere in your life, that can be there for you right now... in this waiting period?

That seems to be very important for you to succeed right now, is not being alone, or not feeling isolated. Not feeling like you have been dumped off alone again to deal with it all, when you cant do it all alone anymore.

:hug:

3. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

I watched a documentary on antidepressants and the reality is that they don't work that well at all, and this is the reason why. Doctors and neuroscientists are still understanding just how our brains work and all our neuro-connections are made. One doctor suspects our memories are contained within the neurons themselves, which is why it's so important to make new neuro-connections, by doing puzzles, learning new things and basically just using your brain.

Do you have any hobbies to keep you busy or any friends who would be willing to offer some support until your medication starts working? Don't give up. :hug:

4. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Noo noo, I know you're having a rough time. Stay on the meds your doc has prescribed. Give them a chance to kick in. In the meantime, keep posting and venting. So many of us here can relate and we will support you as much as we can. :hug:

Dave's suggestion to find distractions is good if you are able to do it. If you are overwhelmed by feelings, just keep in mind that feeling do not have to be acted on, and feelings eventually settle down and fade.

Blanket statements like this can be dangerous as they might give readers the idea they should not go or be on meds. Only a physician can tell us about our medications and why s/he feels we should take it. Also, some people require a combo of meds, and some anti-depressants work better for some people than they do for others.

5. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

Sorry about that Acy. I was just describing what I had learned in a documentary that I had watched. I should have also said that a person suffering from depression should never come off their meds without their doctor's permission. My point is that drugs really aren't the solution to depression. If they were, then there wouldn't be so many depressed individuals on here. A combination approach that involves medication and a behavioual component is more effective.

6. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

I agree with Acy about giving advise when one has not seen the person and is not equipped to make the diagnosis...depression is not one disorder, it is a syndrome caused by many things, some of which are barely understood...it does seem that psycho-pharm may not be an exact science, but for some, the medications bring significant relief...can you contact the person who prescribed the medication and ask if there are any other alternatives for more direct interactions and more immediate relief? Has any community worker been assigned to work with you? Again, ask if someone is available. I know in the UK the mental health services are quite different than in the States, but there are options so please advocate for them...and yes, keep posting...many people can relate and we do care

7. spidy

spidy Well-Known Member

Hey
    Some really good suggestions here.As ya said you are going onto antidepressants and really they will help you cope but wont fix the world.As suggested therapists councillors keeping busy and also trying to find your own well being will help too.Finding inner strength can go a long way and also reaching out for help asm you have done here goes a long way to.Hang in there as things can get better and we always here too takle care

8. noo noo

noo noo Active Member

Thank you so much everyone for the advice. Have been back in touch with the doctor about some sort of therapy, have now had a referal done but have been warned this can take around 6months. Only way round this is to go private and just cannot afford that. Just hope can survive that long. Having a really bad day today with self harm and flash backs, so sorry about writing/spelling etc. Spent a lot of time in shower today trying to get clean and even with bleach this is not working.

9. Samara

Samara Account Closed

A way to speed up the referral process is to stress to those involved that you really need to get in now, as in you are a very immediate case. There are others who are willing to wait, and some who just cannot; that is true for every kind of long waiting list. Sometimes they are able to find a faster spot for you, if you let them know how urgent your case really is.

That happened with me, I got in sooner. It was still a bit of a wait, as it felt for me, but I was able to get in a heck of a lot sooner than originally told.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.